Help Needed: Balancing pH of Acetic Acid & NaOH Mixture

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pH of a mixture of 30ml 0.1M acetic acid and 30ml of 0.1M NaOH. The equilibrium equation for this reaction is not known, but it involves an acid (acetic acid) and a base (NaOH). To solve for the pH, one must determine the initial number of moles of acid and base, the product formed from their reaction, and the number of moles of each reactant and product.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have a question here and i don't really know how to do it.

I need to know : What is the pH of a mixture of 30ml 0.1M acetic acid and 30ml of 0.1M NaOH? [tex]\[HC_2 H_3 O_3 = 1.8*10^{ - 5} \][/tex]

I'm not even sure what the equilibrium equation would be! Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino, notice you have an acid (acetic acid) and a base (NaOH) .
  • Initially, how many moles of each are there?
  • When they react, what product will they form?
  • How many moles of acid and base react, and how many moles of product is formed?
  • So after, the reaction what happens to the product?

Figure out the answers to the above questions, and you are half way to the required answer.

I would be happy to help you with balancing the pH of your acetic acid and NaOH mixture. First, it is important to understand that acetic acid (HC2H3O2) is a weak acid, while NaOH is a strong base. This means that when they are mixed, they will undergo a neutralization reaction, producing water and a salt (sodium acetate). The equilibrium equation for this reaction is as follows:

HC2H3O2 + NaOH → H2O + NaC2H3O2

To calculate the pH of the mixture, we need to first determine the moles of each substance present. This can be done using the formula: moles = concentration (in M) x volume (in L).

For acetic acid, we have 30 mL x 0.1 M = 0.003 moles.
For NaOH, we have 30 mL x 0.1 M = 0.003 moles.

Since the reaction is 1:1, we can see that both substances will be completely consumed in the reaction, leaving us with only the products (water and sodium acetate). This means that the final volume of the solution will be 60 mL.

To find the concentration of the products, we can use the formula: concentration (in M) = moles / volume (in L).

For water, we have 0.003 moles / 0.06 L = 0.05 M.
For sodium acetate, we have 0.003 moles / 0.06 L = 0.05 M.

Now, we can use the equilibrium constant (Ka) for the dissociation of acetic acid to calculate the pH of the solution. The equation for Ka is:

Ka = [H+][C2H3O2-] / [HC2H3O2]

We know the concentration of the products (water and sodium acetate) and the initial concentration of acetic acid (0.1 M). We can plug these values into the equation to solve for [H+].

Ka = [H+][C2H3O2-] / [HC2H3O2]

1.8 x 10^-5 = [H+][0.05] / [0.1]

[H+] = 1.8

1. What is the purpose of balancing the pH of an acetic acid and NaOH mixture?

The purpose of balancing the pH of an acetic acid and NaOH mixture is to ensure that the solution reaches a neutral pH of 7. This is important for accurate and consistent results in experiments, as well as for safety reasons.

2. How can I determine the initial pH of the acetic acid and NaOH mixture?

The initial pH of the mixture can be determined by using a pH meter or pH indicator paper. Simply dip the meter or paper into the solution and read the pH value. Alternatively, you can calculate the initial pH using the known concentrations of acetic acid and NaOH and the Ka value of acetic acid.

3. What is the recommended method for balancing the pH of an acetic acid and NaOH mixture?

The recommended method is to add small increments of the base (NaOH) to the acid (acetic acid) while continuously measuring the pH until it reaches the desired neutral pH of 7. This method allows for more precise control of the pH and prevents overshooting the neutral point.

4. How do I know when the pH of the acetic acid and NaOH mixture is balanced?

The pH of the mixture is considered balanced when it reaches a neutral pH of 7. This can be confirmed by using a pH meter or indicator paper. Additionally, there should be no further changes in the pH after adding small increments of the base.

5. What safety precautions should I take when balancing the pH of an acetic acid and NaOH mixture?

It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling these chemicals. Also, be sure to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of accidental spills, neutralize the mixture with a weak acid, such as vinegar, and clean up the area immediately.