What options to choose for my physics degree

In summary, the conversation is about choosing between batch 1 and batch 2 of a part-time evening degree program in physics. The options for batch 1 include statistical thermodynamics, condensed matter physics, solid state physics, lasers and modern optics, electricity and magnetism, and topics in modern cosmology. The options for batch 2 include atomic and molecular physics, environmental physics, nuclear and particle physics, quantum mechanics, and principles and practice of electronics. The person is seeking advice on which batch to choose based on their interests and level of difficulty. They mention that they are leaning towards batch 2 because they find quantum mechanics the most interesting, but are concerned about the heavy use of mathematics in that batch. The other person advises them to
dirac1
hi all basically I am going to be starting an evening degree hopefully in september and i have or can choose which options i would like to take

source http://www.phys.ucl.ac.uk/part-time/PTPhysics/PTInfo/PTInfo2005.html

batch 1
Statistical Thermodynamics and Condensed Matter Physics
Solid State Physics
Lasers and Modern Optics
Electricity and Magnetism 2
Topics in Modern Cosmology

batch 2
Atomic and Molecular Physics
Environmental Physics
Nuclear and Particle Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Principles and Practice of Electronics

i can only choose which batch to study unfortunately i can't mix and match them but i just wondering which batch you think is more interesting/harder/more or less maths etc

thanks

D

Physics news on Phys.org
From that website, it seems that the normal duration for a degree is 4 years. It seems that you want to cut off one of the last years -- are you sure that is possible or advisible? I would wait until you are enrolled in the program and can get advice from the faculty before deciding this one way or the other.

your right what an idiot <---- :( how dopey of me just wondering which topics you think will bemost interesting

many thansk

I think if you like experimental physics you should choose batch1, but if you prefer theoretical physics you should choose batch2.

In batch2, maybe you will have to be bit more like a mathematician, then in batch1. Your decision should depend on your interesting in physics.
What topics do you really like in physics?

I, myself found Quantum mechanics the most interesting part of physics, but it needs deep knowladge in maths.
That's your decision, do some search in the topics before you make your choice.

G.

1. What career options are available with a physics degree?

There are a variety of career options available for individuals with a physics degree. Some common ones include research scientist, engineer, data analyst, teacher, and consultant. Physics graduates are also highly sought after in industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology.

2. Should I specialize in a specific field of physics?

It depends on your interests and career goals. Specializing in a specific field of physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics, can make you more competitive for certain jobs. However, a broad physics degree can also open up a variety of opportunities.

3. What skills will I develop with a physics degree?

A physics degree will develop your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. You will also gain strong mathematical and computational skills, as well as the ability to design and conduct experiments. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of industries.

4. Is a physics degree suitable for someone who is not pursuing a career in science?

Yes, a physics degree can be useful for individuals pursuing careers outside of science. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed in a physics program are highly valued in fields such as finance, law, and business.

5. What are the job prospects for physics graduates?

Job prospects for physics graduates are generally positive, with a high demand for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 7% growth in employment for physicists and astronomers from 2019-2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.