What is the mass of the cart?

• Thread starter helen3743
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Mass
In summary, the problem involves a 50 kg boy running at 10 m/s and jumping onto a cart initially at rest. The final speed of the cart with the boy on it is 2.50 m/s. Using the known velocities and the mass of the boy, we can use the principle of conservation of momentum to determine the mass of the cart. The hint to consider the sum of external forces being zero leads us to this principle of physics.
helen3743
Thank you--

Problem:
A 50 kg boy runs at a speed of 10 m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed of the cart with the boy on it is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

I don't know what to do. This probelem seems very simple but I don't know where to start.

These I know are the knowns:
vo(cart) = 0 m/s
vf(cart) = 2.50 m/s
vo(boy) = 10 m/s
vf(boy) = 2.5 m/s

So I know velocities and I know the mass of the boy.
Should I start off by finding the acceleration from F=ma, since I know a mass? But then I don't know how to find F. I know Fn = mg in the y component, but I don't know what I would use Fn next for. Am I supposed to use kinematics equations? But I don't know a, x, or time. Direction is needed, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much simpler than you think. Hint: What's conserved when the boy "collides" with the cart?

Sum of external forces = 0! thank you!

SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, you know, with its own set of silly equations and all.

DaMastaofFisix said:
SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, you know, with its own set of silly equations and all.

Care to expand / explain your comment DaMasta? Edit. perhaps this is best discussed in the pf lounge actually.

~H

Last edited:

1. What is mass?

Mass is a property of matter that represents the amount of substance in an object. It is often measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass remains the same regardless of the location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

3. How is the mass of a cart determined?

The mass of a cart can be determined by using a scale to measure its weight, and then converting that weight into mass using the formula w = mg, where w is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Why is mass an important property to measure?

Mass is an important property to measure because it helps us understand the amount of matter present in an object and how it will behave in different situations. It is also a key factor in many scientific calculations and experiments.

5. Can the mass of a cart change?

Yes, the mass of a cart can change if additional matter is added or removed from it. However, the mass will remain the same regardless of the location or environment of the cart.