What is the dimension of the spacetime interval?

In summary: The difference between time and space is then not the units, but the metric (-1 1 1 1 instead of 1 1 1 1).
neutrino
Just what the title says. In the book Spacetime Physics, by Taylor and Wheeler, the time coordinate is measured in metres of light-travel time, but that's just a roundabout way of saying that they are using the second...or am I missing the point. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok...it took me sometime to realize that [itex]ds^2 = c^2dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/itex] that has the dimensions of length :blushing:. But now another question came up...why length? Isn't spacetime a a union of space and time. Even if we divide the whole expression by [itex]c^2[/itex], we get a dimension of time only.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
But now another question came up...why length? Isn't spacetime a a union of space and time. Even if we divide the whole expression by [itex]c^2[/itex], we get a dimension of time only.

Yes. In the first case, everything can be considered to be measured in units of length, e.g., metres, where 1 metre of time is the time taken for light to travel a distance of 1 metre, and, in the second case, everything can be considered to be measured in units of time, e.g., seconds, where 1 second of distance is the distance traveled by light in 1 second of time.

Most relativity books use the former, but I have seen the latter used. In cosmology the latter is often used, i.e., (light)years and years.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Yes. In the first case, everything can be considered to be measured in units of length, e.g., metres, where 1 metre of time is the time taken for light to travel a distance of 1 metre, and, in the second case, everything can be considered to be measured in units of time, e.g., seconds, where 1 second of distance is the distance traveled by light in 1 second of time.

Most relativity books use the former, but I have seen the latter used. In cosmology the latter is often used, i.e., (light)years and years.
Yes, I realize that. I'm just wondering why this quantity (ds²), which says something about the unity of space and time does not have a dimension made up of a combination of length and time.

neutrino said:
Yes, I realize that. I'm just wondering why this quantity (ds²), which says something about the unity of space and time does not have a dimension made up of a combination of length and time.

The quantity involved in ds² that "unifies" space and time (namely, the speed of light) has the dimensions of "length/time".

Similarly, the quantity that "unifies" momentum and energy has the dimensions of "momentum/energy".

robphy said:
The quantity involved in ds² that "unifies" space and time (namely, the speed of light) has the dimensions of "length/time".

Similarly, the quantity that "unifies" momentum and energy has the dimensions of "momentum/energy".
Thanks...now it's all clear. :smile:

Isn´t "Spacetime Physics" exactly the book where they start with the example of length in northern direction has different units than length eastwards, despite both describe the same thing?

Ich said:
Isn´t "Spacetime Physics" exactly the book where they start with the example of length in northern direction has different units than length eastwards, despite both describe the same thing?
Yes, that's the one. I especially like their spacetime-first approach.

Ich said:
Isn´t "Spacetime Physics" ...

This is the book from which I first learned special relativity. Great book.

I recommend also "A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime: An Introduction to Special Relativity, which is the book from which I lifted the accelerometer that I used in the "A falling object" thread.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
This is the book from which I first learned special relativity. Great book.

I recommend also "A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime: An Introduction to Special Relativity, which is the book from which I lifted the accelerometer that I used in the "A falling object" thread.

Regards,
George

Here are some useful supplements for Moore's book:
http://www.physics.pomona.edu/faculty/prof/tmoore/tgerrors.html
http://www.physics.pomona.edu/sixideas/sicpr.html (see "unit R")

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the book is a good one (maybe pete would disagree https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=737202&postcount=20").
And their point is: c is simply an arbitrary conversion factor from time units to length units. "meter" and "second" are two units where you need only one. Comparable with inches and meters. Two units for the same thing.
The difference between time and space is then not the units, but the metric (-1 1 1 1 instead of 1 1 1 1).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of "dimension" in the context of spacetime interval?

Dimension refers to the number of coordinates required to specify the position or state of an object in a given space. In the context of spacetime interval, it refers to the number of coordinates needed to describe the location of an event in spacetime.

2. How many dimensions are there in spacetime interval?

Spacetime interval is a 4-dimensional concept, meaning that it requires four coordinates (three for space and one for time) to describe the position of an event in spacetime.

3. Can the dimension of spacetime interval be visualized?

Since spacetime interval involves both space and time, it cannot be visualized in the traditional sense. However, we can use diagrams or mathematical models to represent the concept of spacetime interval.

4. How is the dimension of spacetime interval related to the theory of relativity?

The dimension of spacetime interval is a crucial concept in the theory of relativity. It is used to describe the relationship between time and space and how they are affected by the motion of an observer. The theory of relativity also states that the dimension of spacetime interval is invariant, meaning it does not change for different observers.

5. Is the concept of dimension of spacetime interval applicable to other theories of physics?

Yes, the concept of dimension of spacetime interval is applicable to various theories of physics, including quantum mechanics and string theory. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the fabric of our universe and its behavior.