Acids, Bases, and the Chemistry of Taste

In summary, the conversation covers the use of a red cabbage water indicator to test substances, including isopropyl alcohol and saline solution. The speaker is confused about why there was no change in color with these substances and discusses the potential danger of tasting the alcohol. They also mention the potential toxicity of isopropyl alcohol and the fact that all parts of the tongue can detect all tastes.
AngelShare
"Acids, Bases, and the Chemistry of Taste"

I'm using a red cabbage water indicator to test some substances and, so far, I've done Isopropyl alcohol and Saline solution. Neither substance caused any change in the color of the indicator though which I can't figure out... I'm to do a taste test as well but I'm not to taste the alcohol. Wouldn't that imply that it's dangerous? That, to me, says acid but nothing... Is there anything wrong?

As for the taste test, I did as I was told and tested all four areas of my tongue but I can taste the saline solution on each one. Is that normal/right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alcohol? It would appear that you are underage, perhaps this is the reason you cannot taste the alcohol? Also, I have never hear of an acidic alcohol :wink:

~H

Plus this particular alcohol is more toxic than the ethanol that's found in alcoholic beverages.

In the liver, Isopropyl alcohol is broken down into acetone, which isn't the best thing to have in your system.

As for the second question, I'm not an expert on the tongue but as far as I understand all parts of your tongue have the capability of detecting all tastes; it's just that there are some slight variations in the different sections of the tongue.

What are acids and bases?

Acids and bases are two types of chemical compounds that have different properties. Acids are substances that have a pH value below 7 and are known for their sour taste and ability to react with metals. Bases, on the other hand, have a pH value above 7 and are known for their bitter taste and ability to neutralize acids.

How do acids and bases affect taste?

Acids and bases play a crucial role in the chemistry of taste. The level of acidity or basicity of a substance can greatly impact its taste. Acids can give a sour or tart taste, while bases can give a bitter or soapy taste. The balance between acids and bases in food is what creates a desirable taste.

What is the pH scale and how does it relate to taste?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a substance. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. The lower the pH, the more acidic a substance is, and the higher the pH, the more basic it is. Taste receptors on our tongue are sensitive to different levels of acidity and basicity, which is why the pH of food can greatly impact its taste.

How does the chemistry of taste affect food preservation?

The chemistry of taste plays a significant role in food preservation. Acids, such as citric acid, can be used to lower the pH of food, making it more acidic and creating an environment that is not suitable for bacterial growth. Bases, such as sodium hydroxide, can be used to raise the pH, making food more basic and also inhibiting bacterial growth. The balance of acids and bases in food can help prolong its shelf life.

What are some common examples of acids and bases in food?

Some common examples of acids in food include citric acid in citrus fruits, acetic acid in vinegar, and lactic acid in dairy products. Bases can be found in many vegetables, such as broccoli and spinach, as well as in baking soda and egg whites. These substances not only contribute to the taste of food but also have important roles in cooking and food preservation.