Why Does My Calculation of Line Impedance Differ from the Textbook's Result?

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the book says that the line impedance is 8+j4, while my calculations give a value of 0.134+0.306j. My professor said that the difference has to do with the Y shape of the load and line impedances. I'm not a power expert, so I don't know what the convention is, but I'm guessing that the difference has to do with the Y shape of the load and line impedances.
FrogPad
I would like to know what I'm doing wrong here. I am not getting what the book has.

Q: In a balanced three-phase wye-wye system, the load impedance is [itex] 8+j4\Omega [/itex]. The source has phase sequence abc and [itex] \bar V_{an} = 120<0\,\,V_{rms} [/itex]. If the load voltage [itex] \bar V_{AN} = 116.62<-1.33\,\,V_{rms} [/itex] determine the line impedence.

Please excuse me being lazy and not looking up how to properly represent polar numbers in LaTeX. Thus [itex] X < 90 [/itex] would mean a magnitude of [itex] X [/itex] with a phase angle of [itex] 90 [/itex] (in degrees).

A:
This is how I'm going about it:
[tex] \bar Z_{load} = 8+j4 \Omega [/tex]
[tex] \bar V_{an} = 120 < 0 \,\,V_{rms} [/tex]
[tex] \bar V_{AN} = 111.62 < -1.33 \,\,V_{rms} [/tex]
[tex] \bar Z_{line} = ? [/tex]

So I simply setup a voltage divider:
[tex] \bar V_{AN} = \bar V_{an}\left( \frac{\bar Z_{load}}{\bar Z_{line} + \bar Z_{load}}\right) [/tex]

Solving for [itex] \bar Z_{line} [/itex] yields:

[tex] \bar Z_{line} = \frac{\bar V_{an}\bar Z_{load}}{\bar V_{AN}}-\bar Z_{load} = \frac{(120<0)(8+j4)}{(116.62<-1.33)}-8+j4
=0.134+0.306j \Omega[/tex]

The book gets [itex] 0.5 + 0.5j \Omega [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a power expert, but it looks right to me. You math is right too. Tell me what your prof says.

I'm guessing the difference has to do with the Y shape of the load and line impedances. When they say that the load impedance is 8+j4, is that each of the three Y impedances, or the parallel combination of them, or some other variation? I haven't worked with Y-delta stuff much, so I don't know what the convention is. But maybe that's why the book has a different answer.

EDIT -- Oops, I see now that this question was from last month. Sorry for the slow response, FrogPad. What turned out to be the error?

Well I actually forgot about this post. This was for a summer class I was taking, so things were flying by. I'm actually back home right now (I go to school in a different state), so I don't have anything from that class with me.

This post will either have to wait until I get back to school, or be lost forever.

1. What is a balanced wye-wye system?

A balanced wye-wye system is an electrical power distribution system where three single-phase transformers are connected in a wye configuration on both the primary and secondary sides. This type of system is commonly used in three-phase power distribution networks.

2. What are the advantages of a balanced wye-wye system?

One of the main advantages of a balanced wye-wye system is its ability to provide a balanced and symmetrical three-phase power supply. This results in better voltage regulation and lower losses in the system. Additionally, this type of system is relatively simple and cost-effective to install and maintain.

3. How does a balanced wye-wye system differ from an unbalanced system?

In a balanced wye-wye system, all three phases are equally loaded, meaning that the current flowing through each phase is the same. In contrast, an unbalanced system has unequal loads on each phase, resulting in different current levels. This can lead to voltage imbalances and potential equipment damage.

4. Can a balanced wye-wye system be used in residential settings?

Yes, a balanced wye-wye system can be used in residential settings. However, it is more commonly found in industrial and commercial applications due to its ability to handle higher power loads. In residential settings, a single-phase power supply is typically used.

5. How is a balanced wye-wye system maintained?

To maintain a balanced wye-wye system, regular inspections and maintenance of the transformers and associated equipment are necessary. This includes checking for any signs of wear or damage, ensuring proper connections, and performing routine tests to ensure the system is operating within specifications. Additionally, any changes to the load should be carefully monitored to ensure the system remains balanced.