Stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration

In summary: That will be how far the car travels before coming to rest.In summary, to find the distance traveled by a car with initial velocity 72 km/hr when its brakes are applied to produce a nonconstant deceleration of s"(t)=-t (in m/s^2), we can use the equations v(t)= -(1/2)t2+ 0.02 and x(t)= -(1/6)x2+ 0.02t to determine the time taken for the car to come to rest and the distance traveled during that time. This can be found by setting v(t)= -(1/2)t2+ 0.02= 0 and then using this value of t to find x(t)=
m0286
Hi
Another question
It says:
A car is traveling at 72km/hr. At a certain instant its brakes are applied to produce a nonconstant deceleration of s"(t)=-t(in m/s^2) How far does the car travel before coming to rest?

Now there's a lot of questions like this in the book, however they use a constant deceleration which is given along with the velocity.

but what would i use as my deceleration? I believe there probably is, but to me now it seems like there isn't enough information to answer the question. I am not asking for the solution because i know that's not what your here for, but could someone give me a hint at what I do with this nonconstant deceleration? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
still confused?

Sorry.. this question is driving me crazy:frown:
I just can't seem to understand it.. I've been staring at that website, and nothings making sense to me. Do I need to figure out the time first? because by those equations that's whut its looking like... But I can't figure out how to do that either.. This questions is just confusing me soo much ... Is there anything else you could say to help me out? Thanks

Yes, you need to determine the time first, you can do this by finding the integral;

[tex]v(t) = \int -t \;dt[/tex]

What is v before the breaks are applied? What is v when the car is stopped?

Edit: There's no need to apologise, we're all here to learn :smile:

Last edited:
I still don't get it!

Ok this could be very wrong, I am just not sure how to do it any other way.
(im going to use $ for the integral sign)

v(t)=$-t dt

=-1/2 t^2

so v(t)=-1/2 t^2 ( and I've changed km/h to m/s)
20m/s=-1/2 t^2
t=sq root( 20/-1/2) t=sq root(40) t= 6.324s

Since s"(t)=-t in (m/s^2)
does that just mean that the deceleration is -6.324m/s^2?

t is $$-t dt so -1/3t^3
and v(t)=-1/3t^3
t=sq root (20/-1/3) t=sq root(60) t=7.75s

is v=d/t d=v*t = 20m/s*7.75s=154m

This definately is not right... I am soooo confused i have no idea what's going on here, please HELP! :frown:

m0286 said:
Ok this could be very wrong, I am just not sure how to do it any other way.
(im going to use $ for the integral sign)

v(t)=$-t dt

=-1/2 t^2
Almost: v(t)= -(1/2)t2+ C for some constant C.
If you set t=0, you get v(0)= C so C is the initial velocity. Since your initial value was "A car is traveling at 72km/hr. At a certain instant its brakes are applied to produce a nonconstant deceleration of s"(t)=-t(in m/s^2) How far does the car travel before coming to rest?", C= 72 km/h = 72000 m/hr= 72/60= 1.2 m/min= 1.2/60= 0.02 m/s and
v(t)= -(1/2)t2+ 0.02.

Since v(t)= dx/dt= -(1/2)t2+ 0.02,
x(t) is the integral of that: x(t)= -(1/6)x3+ 0.02t+ C. Taking x(0)= 0 to be the initial position, x(0)= -(1/6)x2+ 0.02t.
Now, "How far does the car travel before coming to rest?"
When does the car come to rest? That is, what is t when
v(t)= -(1/2)t2+ 0.02= 0. Using that value of t, then find x(t)= -(1/6)x2+ 0.02t.

1. What is stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration?

Stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration is the distance traveled by an object from the moment it starts to decelerate until it comes to a complete stop. Nonconstant deceleration refers to a situation where the deceleration rate changes over time, rather than remaining constant.

2. How is stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration calculated?

To calculate stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration, you need to use the equation d = (v^2 - u^2) / 2a, where d is the stopping distance, v is the initial velocity, u is the final velocity, and a is the average deceleration rate. This equation assumes that the deceleration is uniform, meaning that it changes at a constant rate over time.

3. How does nonconstant deceleration affect stopping distance?

Nonconstant deceleration can significantly affect stopping distance. If the deceleration rate is constantly changing, the object may take longer to come to a complete stop, resulting in a longer stopping distance. This is because the object is covering a larger distance during the time it takes for the deceleration rate to decrease.

4. What factors can affect stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration?

Several factors can affect stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration. These include the initial velocity of the object, the deceleration rate, the time it takes for the deceleration rate to change, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How can the concept of stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of stopping distance with nonconstant deceleration is crucial in various real-life scenarios. For example, when driving a car, understanding the relationship between deceleration and stopping distance can help drivers maintain a safe distance from other vehicles and react appropriately in emergency situations. It is also essential in designing effective braking systems for vehicles and understanding the motion of objects in freefall or under the influence of gravity.