New Hubble Constant: Universe 180 Billion Light-Years Wide in 15.8B Years

It seems that the new finding about the Hubble constant suggests that the universe is about 15.8 billion years old and 180 billion light-years wide. This may seem like a contradiction, as the universe would have had to expand at a speed faster than light to reach this size in only 16 billion years. However, there is a logical explanation for this phenomenon, which is discussed in detail in the provided thread. It is recommended to post further questions and discussions on this topic in the appropriate section of the forums. In summary, a recent finding suggests that the Hubble constant is 15% smaller than previously thought, indicating that the universe is about 15
tuna_wasabi
Just got through reading http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060807_mm_huble_revise.html" about findings that suggest the Hubble constant is about 15% smaller than previously believed. From the article:

The new finding implies that the universe is. . . about 15.8 billion years old and about 180 billion light-years wide.

My question is this: How does the universe get 180 billion light years wide in only 16 billion years without having matter travel faster than light? I'm sure there's a sensical explanation, I just have no idea what it is.

P.S. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Other Sciences (i.e. astronomy) forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much

1. What is the Hubble Constant?

The Hubble Constant is a measurement of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is represented by the symbol H0 and is expressed in units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc).

2. How is the Hubble Constant calculated?

The Hubble Constant is calculated by measuring the distance and the velocity of various objects in the universe. This is done by using telescopes and other instruments to observe the light from these objects and analyzing the redshift of the light. The redshift is then used to determine the velocity, and the distance is calculated using various techniques, such as the cosmic distance ladder method.

3. What is the significance of the new Hubble Constant measurement?

The new measurement of the Hubble Constant is significant because it has provided a more accurate and precise value for the rate of expansion of the universe. This has implications for our understanding of the age and size of the universe, as well as its future expansion.

4. How does the new Hubble Constant measurement compare to previous estimates?

The new Hubble Constant measurement of 180 billion light-years wide in 15.8 billion years is slightly larger than previous estimates. This is due to advancements in technology and techniques used to make the calculation, allowing for a more precise value to be obtained.

5. What does the Hubble Constant tell us about the fate of the universe?

The Hubble Constant, along with other measurements and observations, can provide insight into the fate of the universe. The current understanding is that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerating rate, eventually leading to a "heat death" or "Big Freeze" scenario where all matter and energy is evenly distributed and the universe becomes cold and dark.