How to Avoid Italian Formatting in LaTeX: Dealing with Math Symbols

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about using Latex to format mathematical equations. The $ $ environment in Latex is used for inline math and the [ tex ] ... [ /tex ] tags can also be used. The participants also discuss italic formatting and using \mbox{} to prevent it, and they share an example using CH3COOH.
lo2
Hi

I would like to 'math' something (put $ around it) but I would like to not to be italian as things get when you 'math' them. How to do so.

[tex] $CH_3COOH$ [/tex]

An example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To type $ means that now there is comming something mathsy, then when you make another $ then it means that it stop there. Then when you surround something with $'s then it looks as though you have written it with italian.

HallsofIvy said:
Where did you get the idea that you could "math" things by putting a $ around them? I'm not at all clear what you mean by "math" something. The Latex tutorial is here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

the $ $ environment in Latex is a standard shortcut for inline math. Not the PF latex display system, but the real latex typesetting program.

I don't think its possible to undo the bold typeface, unless you change style files maybe? Not sure.

Putting something in [ tex ] ... [ /tex ] is like putting it between $ ... $ or \[ ... \].

If you don't want it to be italic, try \mbox{...}.

[tex]CH_3COOH[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{CH}_3\mbox{COOH}[/tex]

CH3COOH

Last edited:
Excactly Greathouse I mostly appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I prevent Italian formatting in LaTeX?

To avoid Italian formatting in LaTeX, you can use the \usepackage[english]{babel} command in your preamble. This will set the language to English and prevent any Italian formatting.

2. Can I change the default math symbols in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the default math symbols in LaTeX by using the \DeclareMathSymbol command. You can specify the new symbol and its properties, such as size and placement.

3. What should I do if my equations are still showing Italian formatting?

If your equations are still showing Italian formatting, make sure you have loaded the correct packages for your desired formatting. You may also need to check your document for any conflicting commands or packages.

4. Is there a way to globally change the math font in LaTeX?

Yes, you can globally change the math font in LaTeX by using the \usepackage command with the desired font package. You can also use the \DeclareMathAlphabet command to create a new math font.

5. Can I customize the spacing between math symbols in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the spacing between math symbols in LaTeX by using the \thinspace, \medspace, and \thickspace commands. These commands add a small, medium, or large amount of space, respectively, between the symbols.