Easy gauss' law question that I wanna make sure I didn't make too easy

In summary, we have discussed finding the flux through a larger sphere and determining the electric field using the radial dependency and r-hat*da. The total flux can be found by using the volume integral with an integrand of Ar^2sin(theta). The electric field can also be found by using the equation Er*r-hat=Er16pi*a^2=Qin/e and solving for Er.
schattenjaeger
A sphere of radius a has its center at the origin, and has charge density p=Ar^2

another sphere of radius = 2a is concentric with the first. Find the flux SE*da through the larger sphere, where that's the surface integral of E dot da, like usual. It'd just be Qin/e where e is that constant, right? So I just have to do that volume integral that ends up having integrand Ar^2sin(theta) with r going from 0 to a, theta from 0 to pi, phi from 0 to 2pi?

And though it's not asked, if I DID want to find the electric field I'd note that da vector is r-hat*da and E only has the radial dependency, so Evector=Er*r-hat

so you end up with Er16pi*a^2=Qin/e solve for Er?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your approach for finding the flux through the larger sphere. The integral you have described is the correct one to use, and it will give you the total flux through the surface. As for finding the electric field, your method is also correct. Remember to include the constant of integration when solving for Er. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental concept in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

2. How do I apply Gauss' Law to solve problems?

To apply Gauss' Law, you must first identify the charge distribution and the symmetries of the problem. Then, you can use the mathematical formula to calculate the electric flux and solve for the electric field.

3. Can Gauss' Law be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any type of charge distribution, as long as the charge is enclosed within the surface and the problem has sufficient symmetry.

4. Can Gauss' Law be used to solve problems in other areas of physics?

Yes, Gauss' Law has applications in other areas of physics, such as magnetostatics and gravitation. It is a general principle that relates the flux of a vector field to its source.

5. Is Gauss' Law always accurate in predicting electric fields?

Yes, Gauss' Law is always accurate in predicting electric fields, as long as the problem has sufficient symmetry. However, it may not always be the most convenient method of calculation, and other techniques may be more suitable for certain problems.