Build a DC Voltage Regulator for 320 Amp Alternator

In summary: Does anyone have simple schematics on this?Any help or any suggestions will be appreciated...First, you have series'ed th two 8V batteries to make 16V, not parallel'ed.Your requirements are for Vo = 20Vdc max to some Vmin, at 320 Amps?Xhunter, do you have any eardrums left?Xhunter, do you have any eardrums left?I think berkeman knew what I ment...I just want to some input on building a voltage regulator...If you guys can't help me that's ok...I currently build 10 meter amplifiers and Big DC unregulated power supplies from
xhunter911
Hello all,

I am looking to build a small varible voltage regulator that I can control from the inside my vehichle, that will allow me to control the voltage of my 320 Amp Leece Neville stand alone alternator... Currently I use this alternator to power my amplifiers that will handle up to 20VDC. I also have paralleld (2) 8 volt batteries to make the equipment run on 16VDC instead of 13.8... Does anyone have simple schematics on this?

Any help or any suggestions will be appreciated...

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, you have series'ed th two 8V batteries to make 16V, not parallel'ed.

Your requirements are for Vo = 20Vdc max to some Vmin, at 320 Amps?

Xhunter, do you have any eardrums left?

Danger said:
Xhunter, do you have any eardrums left?

I think berkeman knew what I ment...

I just want to some input on building a voltage regulator...
If you guys can't help me that's ok...

I currently build 10 meter amplifiers and Big DC unregulated power supplies from 50Amp up to 400Amp, so I would think that this regulator would also be quite simple to build for a beginer like myself...

thanks

I can't help you; I don't know anything about electronics, but that was a serious question (badly worded, perhaps). There have been a lot of official warnings up here about kids going deaf in those rolling boom-boxes. Just how many decibels are you pushing there, anyhow?

Danger said:
I can't help you; I don't know anything about electronics, but that was a serious question (badly worded, perhaps). There have been a lot of official warnings up here about kids going deaf in those rolling boom-boxes. Just how many decibels are you pushing there, anyhow?

Im not running class D amplifiers, I am running class C amplifiers with close to 10KW (pep)...

xhunter911 said:
I just want to some input on building a voltage regulator...
If you guys can't help me that's ok...

I currently build 10 meter amplifiers and Big DC unregulated power supplies from 50Amp up to 400Amp, so I would think that this regulator would also be quite simple to build for a beginer like myself...
10m amplifiers...you a HAM? Good stuff! A voltage regulator in the power range you are talking about is just like a follower amp, with the input being the desired output voltage (plus a diode drop). You can parallel up several power BJTs to supply all that current, and each emitter has a small series resistor to help balance out the output currents and prevent current bunching in one runaway BJT. Does that make sense?

Oh, okay... that makes more sense. I thought that you were driving a sonic weapon around.

berkeman said:
10m amplifiers...you a HAM? Good stuff! A voltage regulator in the power range you are talking about is just like a follower amp, with the input being the desired output voltage (plus a diode drop). You can parallel up several power BJTs to supply all that current, and each emitter has a small series resistor to help balance out the output currents and prevent current bunching in one runaway BJT. Does that make sense?

I am a Ham, and I also sometimes fool around on 11Meters too... I understand what you are saying, but without a visual I get lost...
I am truly sorry for my stupid questions, but I have to learn more somehow, and why not from the masters... Here are a few of my projects that I have completed...

2x4_small.jpg

200Amp_002.jpg

Your questions are not stupid, and your project pictures are very nice. Here's the wikipedia article on voltage regulators for background info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator

The bipolar follower arrangement that I mentioned is shown in the Linear Regulator part of that article, about half-way down the page. They show it with just one NPN BJT (bipolar junction transistor), but you can parallel up multiple BJTs to increase the output current capability, as long as you put a series emitter resistor in with each of the BJTs. The Re should be sized to give you about 0.1V voltage drop at full current.

I think I get it... I will be testing it out this weekend... Thanks berkeman!

I will keep you posted...

Berkeman here are the photos

000_0081.jpg

000_0082.jpg

000_0083.jpg

That's not a 320A power supply. Could you please clarify what it is/was, and what you are trying to do with it? Even if you're only dropping 3-4V in the regulator, that's about a kW of power that your 320A power supply would have to dissipate. That means fans and lots of metal heat sinking...

xhunter911 said:
Hello all,

I am looking to build a small varible voltage regulator that I can control from the inside my vehichle, that will allow me to control the voltage of my 320 Amp Leece Neville stand alone alternator... Currently I use this alternator to power my amplifiers that will handle up to 20VDC. I also have paralleld (2) 8 volt batteries to make the equipment run on 16VDC instead of 13.8... Does anyone have simple schematics on this?

Any help or any suggestions will be appreciated...

If I am understanding your specs correctly, it seems you are just wanting a Vdc supply to operate at a voltage higher than your battery, used for an amplifier 10KW (PEP) for your 10m Xmtr. [I assume the output power on your amplifier was a typo. You probably recall, the maximum allowed power (if you are licensed in U.S.) on 10m amateur band is http://www.arrl.org/FandES/tbp/radio-lab/RLH%20Unit%208.pdf ? Then you won't need to rectify the AC voltage and handle 320A from the alternator.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a DC voltage regulator and why is it needed for a 320 amp alternator?

A DC voltage regulator is an electrical device that controls the output voltage of a direct current (DC) power supply. It is needed for a 320 amp alternator because without a regulator, the alternator would produce an unstable and potentially damaging voltage output, which could harm the electrical components of the system.

2. How does a DC voltage regulator work?

A DC voltage regulator works by using a feedback mechanism to continuously monitor the output voltage and make adjustments to the input voltage to maintain a constant and stable output. This is typically achieved through the use of electronic components such as transistors, diodes, and resistors.

3. What are the key components of a DC voltage regulator for a 320 amp alternator?

The key components of a DC voltage regulator for a 320 amp alternator include a sensing circuit, a control circuit, and a power circuit. The sensing circuit measures the output voltage and sends a signal to the control circuit, which then adjusts the input voltage of the alternator. The power circuit is responsible for delivering the necessary current to the alternator to maintain a stable output.

4. How do I choose the right DC voltage regulator for a 320 amp alternator?

Choosing the right DC voltage regulator for a 320 amp alternator depends on several factors, including the input and output voltage requirements, the maximum current rating, and the type of control circuit (linear or switching). It is important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the correct regulator is selected for your specific application.

5. Can a DC voltage regulator be used for other applications besides a 320 amp alternator?

Yes, a DC voltage regulator can be used for a variety of applications that require stable and regulated DC power, such as in electronic devices, batteries, and solar panels. The specific design and components of the regulator may vary depending on the application, but the basic principles of operation remain the same.