Control System For Tensile Testing Machine

In summary, Chris is looking for advice on where to start research on a modern tensile testing machine. He is unsure about the level of research he needs to do and recommends looking at company web sites like Instron and Tinius Olsen. He also notes that the maximum loads that will be tested on the machine are 250lbs.
cheerfulbloke
Hi,

I am doing a small project on the "construction and control of a modern tensile testing machine" and am a bit unsure as to where to start on this! Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could find information on this subject, or know anything that might be helpful?

Thanks,

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on previous models? It is very helpful to know what the old way of doing something was before you learn about the new way.

Do you know the names of the major manufacturers of tensile test machines?

I confess I haven't done any research on any models thus far. I know MTI make tensile testing machines, but beyond that I am a little lost. I have had a look at general control textbooks (such as NISE - Control Systems Engineering), but nothing that relates directly to tensile testing machines.

Any thoughts about where this could be found?

I recommend company web sites like Instron and Tinius Olsen. They are two of the biggest manufacturers. Many companies will have a lot of literature regarding their products (http://www.instron.us/wa/library/)

How in depth do you need to go? Are you looking at various modes a machine can operate? Have you ever operated a tensile test machine? I would start with finding a representative model and defining all of the components and what kind of control modes they can operate. Many can perform tests to a desired set load, set extension or to failure. Many newer machines incorporate fatigue testing as well.

I have a similar question. I have to design a micro tensile tester as my project. I did look up some models that are already there in the market but I have no idea where to start with on my design. the maximum loads that are going to be tested on the design are said to be about 250lbs. I am also expected to use a stepper motor and its controller so as to give the freedom of using the loads as and when wanted. Please let me know if you can help me on this.

What is a control system for tensile testing machine?

A control system for tensile testing machine is a system that is responsible for controlling and monitoring the testing process of materials under tension. It includes various components such as sensors, actuators, and software that work together to ensure accurate and reliable testing results.

Why is a control system important in tensile testing?

A control system is crucial in tensile testing as it allows for precise control of the testing conditions, such as load and speed, which can greatly affect the results. It also ensures repeatability and reproducibility of the testing process, making the results more reliable.

What are the main components of a control system for tensile testing machine?

The main components of a control system for tensile testing machine include load cells, displacement sensors, servo motors, data acquisition systems, and software. Load cells measure the force applied to the material, displacement sensors measure the change in length of the material, servo motors control the speed and direction of the testing machine, and data acquisition systems collect and record the data.

How does a control system ensure accurate testing results?

A control system ensures accurate testing results by continuously monitoring and adjusting the testing conditions, such as load and speed, to maintain consistency throughout the testing process. It also eliminates human error and ensures that the testing parameters are within the desired range.

Can a control system be customized for different types of materials?

Yes, a control system can be customized for different types of materials by adjusting the testing parameters and using specific sensors and software. For example, different materials may require different load ranges or testing speeds, and the control system can be programmed accordingly to meet these specific requirements.