Report Thread Button Question

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the "report bad post" button needs to be updated to be more visible, and it takes less than a second for me to see it.
berkeman
Mentor
I noticed in the PF Global Guidelines section at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

PF Guidelines said:
TO REPORT VIOLATIONS:

If you witness a posting that violates these terms, please click the link at the right bottom side of the post that reads "Report this post to a mentor" and it will be handled.
But the Report Post button is in the lower left of the post, shown as an exclamation point "!", right? Or maybe my skin shows it differently. Anyway, I just wanted to check to see if the guideline text needed to be updated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the guidelines need to be updated. Those instructions are for the old, old, old, ancient skin. No wonder people don't know where to find it anymore. I think it was easier when it was a yellow triangle that made it more obvious it was something special.

Moonbear said:
Sounds like the guidelines need to be updated. Those instructions are for the old, old, old, ancient skin. No wonder people don't know where to find it anymore. I think it was easier when it was a yellow triangle that made it more obvious it was something special.

I can work up a new icon

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can work up a new icon
That might help. I don't think many people realize that the exclamation point means post report (unless they're reading this thread). I'm not even sure people notice it's a button and not just a decoration.

Is there a way to fit text on such a small button that simply says "report" or something like that? Are there other symbols that just scream "alert" or "report?" Maybe a little skunk for "Peeeuuuw...stinky post!" :rofl:

A label does pop up if you hover your mouse cursor over it...

russ_watters said:
A label does pop up if you hover your mouse cursor over it...
I never noticed that before! You have to hover quite a long time for it to pop up though. Can anything be changed to make that display a bit quicker, or is that something that's limited by the connection speed or something unrelated to the forum settings?

Moonbear said:
I never noticed that before!
From things you've said before, I suspected this might be true...but thought it extremely unlikely!
You have to hover quite a long time for it to pop up though. Can anything be changed to make that display a bit quicker, or is that something that's limited by the connection speed or something unrelated to the forum settings?
It shows up almost instantaneously for me. I doubt it's a forum setting.

Does it take longer for the "report bad post" flag to appear, compared to the others (eg, the "quick reply" flag) when you hold the cursor over it?

Moonbear said:
I never noticed that before! You have to hover quite a long time for it to pop up though. Can anything be changed to make that display a bit quicker, or is that something that's limited by the connection speed or something unrelated to the forum settings?
It's a windows setting. It's the same function that pops up a label when you hover over a menu button...

And it takes less than a second for me.

Gokul43201 said:
Does it take longer for the "report bad post" flag to appear, compared to the others (eg, the "quick reply" flag) when you hold the cursor over it?
Um...since I hadn't noticed that one before either...yep, it seems to take just as long. :redface: I just knew what the buttons were from the old forum format, so didn't need to wait for flags, and apparently never have hovered long enough to notice any of them before! I really have to leave the cursor hovering for quite a bit...much longer than I normally would in my typical zipping around websites. I think my screen needs more caffeine; it has a very slow reaction time. :biggrin: That, or I need less caffeine: Fastest index finger in the East! :rofl:

What does the "Unread/Old" distinction mean??
I've read unread posts, and I don't think today's post are old..

Where? ...

Oh, baby... there it is! :!) :!)

In my opinion that red bar is kind of distracting since everything else is seashore-style. Maybe you get used to it eventually.

Yes! No ambiguity now!

I think it's good to be a bit distracting...no excuses for missing it! Sort of like when all the buttons were a glowing neon green for a while. :biggrin: (Yet, somehow, people still missed them, didn't they...:uhh:)

Greg Bernhardt said:
maybe clear your cache?
I'm failing the test. How do I clear my cache? Thanks.

In IE: Tools/Internet Options/Delete Files.

Doc Al said:
In IE: Tools/Internet Options/Delete Files.
Wow, they don't make it easy for you, do they? In Safari, I just click on the Safari menu, and it's listed right there as "Clear Cache." Nice and easy. :approve:

Hmmm. Even after clearing out my IE cache, the new Report button only shows up in the PF Prime skin, and not in the Nexus skin. Is it just me?

berkeman said:
Hmmm. Even after clearing out my IE cache, the new Report button only shows up in the PF Prime skin, and not in the Nexus skin. Is it just me?

ah yes, only prime, didn't think many people used nexus

1. What is the purpose of the "Report Thread Button" on a forum?

The "Report Thread Button" is a feature on a forum that allows users to report inappropriate or offensive content to the moderators or administrators of the forum. This helps maintain a safe and respectful environment for all users.

2. How do I use the "Report Thread Button" on a forum?

To use the "Report Thread Button", simply click on the button located near the thread or post that you wish to report. This will usually open a pop-up window where you can provide a reason for the report and submit it to the moderators or administrators.

3. What happens after I report a thread using the "Report Thread Button"?

After you report a thread using the "Report Thread Button", the moderators or administrators will review the content and take appropriate action. This could include deleting the thread or post, issuing a warning to the user, or banning the user from the forum.

4. Can I report multiple threads using the "Report Thread Button"?

Yes, you can report multiple threads using the "Report Thread Button". However, it is important to only report threads that violate the forum's rules or policies. Reporting threads without valid reasons can result in penalties for the user.

5. Is my identity revealed when I use the "Report Thread Button"?

No, your identity is not revealed when you use the "Report Thread Button". This feature is designed to protect the anonymity of the user reporting the thread. However, the moderators or administrators may take action if they find that a user is abusing the "Report Thread Button" for personal reasons.