Convert linear density to area and volumetric density?

In summary, if you are given an area density of 10^-4, you can calculate both linear and volumetric density. However, this is only possible if you know the shape of the object you are working on. The total mass of the object can be determined using the equation M = σA and the volume density can be calculated using ρ = σ/T. To find the linear density, you will need to know the thickness of the plate and it is constant in a direction parallel to one side of the plate.
silverdiesel
if I am given a area density of 10^-4, I can get linear and volumetric density from that right? I just can't seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
silverdiesel said:
if I am given a area density of 10^-4, I can get linear and volumetric density from that right? I just can't seem to figure it out.
Only if you know the shape of an object you are working on.

It is a square (not a cube, a flat square surface)

silverdiesel said:
It is a square (not a cube, a flat square surface)
Then the total mass of the object is

M = σA

The volume density is

ρ = M/V = σA/V = σA/(AT) = σ/T

where T is the thickness of the plate.

If you want the linear density, it is only constant in a direction parallel to one side of the plate. See if you can do that one.

1. What is linear density?

Linear density is a measure of the mass or weight per unit length of a one-dimensional object, such as a wire or thread. It is usually expressed in units of mass per unit length, such as grams per meter or pounds per foot.

2. How do you convert linear density to area density?

To convert linear density to area density, you will need to know the cross-sectional area of the object. You can then divide the linear density by the area to get the area density. The units will be mass per unit area, such as grams per square meter or pounds per square foot.

3. How do you convert linear density to volumetric density?

To convert linear density to volumetric density, you will need to know the volume of the object. You can then divide the linear density by the volume to get the volumetric density. The units will be mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic meter or pounds per cubic foot.

4. Can you convert between different units of linear density?

Yes, you can convert between different units of linear density by using conversion factors. For example, to convert grams per meter to pounds per foot, you can multiply by 0.00194. Make sure to check the units and use the correct conversion factor for the desired unit.

5. How is linear density different from density?

Linear density is a measure of mass per unit length, while density is a measure of mass per unit volume. Linear density is specific to one-dimensional objects, while density can be applied to any three-dimensional object. Linear density is usually expressed in units of mass per unit length, while density is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume.