Adding Signatures & Avatars: Get Help Now!

• Thread starter MadScientist 1000
  • Start date
In summary: fit society's ideal body type. I learned amazing things about her. (We just won't talk about the job she had in Germany in the 1940s.) For example, she's really not intended to be excessively thin. It's just that her mommy and daddy (artists and engineers) designed her to...fit society's ideal body type.Huh. So she's not really a Barbie after all. :rolleyes:I figured it out. The "PF Contributor" thingy only lasts a year.Oh, that's right. I just forgot. Thanks for the reminder, though! :smile:Oh, that's right. I just forgot. Thanks for the reminder, though!
MadScientist 1000
Well... I can't find how to add a signature and an avatar, which makes me mad..

Can you guys please help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to become a PF contributor.

Or a homework helper / science advisor :wink:

Hootenanny said:
Or a homework helper / science advisor :wink:

Didn't know about that. Gee, I could do homework helping all day only to get that tiny pic below my nick. :biggrin:

radou said:
Didn't know about that. Gee, I could do homework helping all day only to get that tiny pic below my nick. :biggrin:

go for it! :smile:

My to do list:

Study Physics like mad so that I get into MIT and become a PF Homework Helper...

Odd motivation right?

By the way, I probably can't be a contributer since I just turned 13 a month ago, which probably makes me the youngest on the forums !

So do I get a "Youngest on PF" award?

Last edited:
MadScientist 1000 said:
My to do list:

Study Physics like mad so that I get into MIT and become a PF Homework Helper...

Odd motivation right?

By the way, I probably can't be a contributer since I just turned 13 a month ago, which probably makes me the youngest on the forums !

So do I get a "Youngest on PF" award?
Yomamma was only 13 when he became a contributor. He saved up his allowance and his parents allowed him to sign up.

You can challenge him for his space!

But, with such a great attitude, you might find supporters here. :smile: :smile:

radou said:

Congrats on becoming a Homework Helper, radou! Good work in the forums.

berkeman said:
Congrats on becoming a Homework Helper, radou! Good work in the forums.

Thanks, I just realized I became one now. :smile:

radou said:
Thanks, I just realized I became one now. :smile:
It was the fish...

Btw, how can one get a custom avatar?

Go to user cp

On the top left, “Control Panel”, “Settings & Options”

Click on “edit Avatar”

Scroll down to “custom Avatar”, click the “custom avatar” button

Browse for file either on your computer or hosted on a website.

You may use any picture file, limited to - The maximum size of your custom image is 65 by 65 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

SAVE CHANGES – then send Evo & Moonbear 5lbs of dark chocolate bonbons. EACH.

I may be mistaken Evo, but I believe us common folk (SA's and HH's) are unworthy of custom aviators, we're restricted to the preset ones :wink:

Hootenanny said:
I may be mistaken Evo, but I believe us common folk (SA's and HH's) are unworthy of custom aviators, we're restricted to the preset ones :wink:
Ah, then Radou, you will need to cough up $15 for contributor status.

Thanks Hootenany, I didn't know you could not do customized.

<send the chocolate anyway, it can't hurt>

Hootenanny said:

That's what I meant...nevermind, I'll live. :biggrin:

And Evo...here, that's for your effort: http://www.24stundenlauf.at/logos2005/milka%20logo_3c.jpg"

Unwrap your monitor & enjoy. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
That's right, you can't get any pilot of you choice. :rofl: :wink:

I used to have a custom avatar, but it went away, probably due to an incident that need not be discussed, but is unlikely to be repeated because she moved to Las Vegas.

What do I have to do to get my custom avatar back?

CarlB said:
I used to have a custom avatar, but it went away, probably due to an incident that need not be discussed, but is unlikely to be repeated because she moved to Las Vegas.

What do I have to do to get my custom avatar back?

I really wish you would get the old avatar back. I keep wanting to call you Alkatran.

I figured it out. The "PF Contributor" thingy only lasts a year.

I went to the tropical island of Curacao a few weeks ago to work on some telecom equipment, and they took a picture of me. Meet my new avatar.

Nice pic, Carl! I like this one better than the old one.

Yeah, my other photo has two big defects. I'm afraid of heights so it looks like I'm swallowing a pilll, and with construction workers, you just never know what they're going to be hiding under those hard hats. Could be a mullet. Or a shaved head.

By the way, reminiscent of your avatar, I read the absolutely most fascinating book on Barbie:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0802776949/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I learned amazing things about her. (We just won't talk about the job she had in Germany in the 1940s.) For example, she's really not intended to be excessively thin. It's just that her mommy and daddy (artists and engineers) designed her to look good wearing doll clothes made from full size people fabric. The skinny is there to make the clothes look right.

Following the sentiments of "math is hard", one of the enthusiastic reviewers of the above book writes: "Some people might find this book too intellectual, or possibly over their heads. Probably many people who like to ponder the meanings of popular culture are anti-Barbie, and might be turned off by the book's positive spin on the doll. Barbie enthusiasts might be put off by the negative spin, as well as the stranger explorations. I love the book, but I have to admit it's not for everybody. Maybe that's why it's out of print. But if you are open to both sides of the Barbie controversy, and like to wax philosophical and think about things, this book is definitely for you."

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a fascinating read. I wish I could get my hands on it in time for my holiday plane trip. I read the little blurb about the German Lili doll in the review - oh my! I thought Barbie was a pure California girl, born and bred in El Segundo.

I've always been amused by how riled up some people get over the doll, how they try to read things into her, blame her, villify her. A little controversy is a good thing, I guess, especially when you don't take sides and just sit back to watch the fun. Barbie will always have my heart for inspiring one of the greatest pranks of all time.:smile:

http://sniggle.net/barbie.php

Math Is Hard said:
Barbie will always have my heart for inspiring one of the greatest pranks of all time.:smile:

http://sniggle.net/barbie.php

Yes, that has to be in the top 10.

Meanwhile, in Redmond / Seattle, our football team blew what should have been an easy victory last night. And my power is out. There are blown down power lines and trees all over the roads and people's houses. I'm going to upload some pictures of the carnage on my website, and I'll link it into this post.

And here they are, downed power lines, things squished by trees, etc:
http://www.brannenworks.com/seawind06/

Carl

Last edited:
I was just reading about those high storm winds on accuweather.com. Goodness!

Chinook Pass, Wash. - 113 mph
Sunrise at Mr. Rainier, Wash. - 100 mph
Seattle-Tacoma Airport, Wash. - 69 mph
Whidbey Island, Wash. - 64 mph
Mt. Hebo, Ore. - 104 mph
Mount Hood Meadows, Ore. - 100 mph
Rockaway, Ore. - 90 mph
Rockhouse, Ore. - 95 mph
Portland International Airport, Ore. - 53 mph
Spokane, Wash. - 47 mph
Cutbank, Mont. - 68 mph

Hope the power is back soon. The cold weather has finally made it down to Los Angeles and it's looking pretty gloomy outside today.

Are those top speeds? as opposed to sustained wind speeds?

Hmmm... I'll might have to rethink my plans to relocate there. :grumpy: I thought the Northwest was far enough from the Gulf.

I'm going to guess that they are gusts. This area just doesn't get much high wind, and so relatively small winds cause relatively large problems.

I've got power again, my buddy does not. We live about 2 miles apart, with Microsoft right between us. There were 12 utility trucks out on NE24th street putting the high voltage wire back up a few minutes ago. That was a lot of people. My buddy lives close to those lines so I think he'll probably have power again tomorrow.

But there are huge regions that don't have any power and also do not have any crews working on the problem. As one might expect, the electric companies are bringing the power back from the top down. So the closer you are to a top, the better. If your problem is something in the line that goes to your house only, you could be waiting until the new year. (Personally, if that were my house, I'd go out there and risk electrocution, but then again, I work with electricity regularly and hate cold showers. And you don't really know what "cold shower" means until you've taken a shower with unheated Redmond tap water.)

What is the purpose of adding signatures and avatars?

Adding signatures and avatars allows individuals to personalize their online presence and make their identity more recognizable. It also adds a personal touch to online communication and can help build a sense of community.

How do I add a signature to my emails or online posts?

The process for adding a signature varies depending on the platform or email provider you are using. Generally, you can access the signature settings in your account or profile settings and follow the prompts to create and save your signature. You may also be able to copy and paste a pre-made signature into the appropriate field.

What is the recommended size and format for avatars?

The recommended size for avatars is usually between 200x200 pixels and 500x500 pixels. The format can vary, but commonly used formats include JPEG, PNG, and GIF. It is important to keep in mind that the avatar should be clear and easy to recognize, even when scaled down to a smaller size.

Can I use any image as my avatar?

While some platforms may allow you to use any image as your avatar, it is important to consider the terms of use and guidelines for the platform. Inappropriate or copyrighted images may not be allowed and could result in your account being suspended. It is best to use a personal photo or an image that represents you in a positive and respectful manner.

Can I change my signature or avatar after it has been added?

Yes, you can usually change your signature or avatar at any time by accessing your account or profile settings. It is a good idea to periodically update your signature and avatar to reflect any changes in your personal or professional life.