Line Through Name: What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter unit_circle
  • Start date
In summary, the line through someone's username means that they are either banned/suspended or have requested that their account be deleted.
unit_circle
What does the line though somebody's username mean? I interpret it to be that they are no longer a member of PhysicsForums but I was hopping someone could clarify this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it means they are either banned/suspended or have requested that their account be deleted.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
I think it means they are either banned/suspended or have requested that their account be deleted.

Exactly...

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering because I someone with over 1000 posts with a line through their name, and it didn't seem like a person who should be banned. I was under the impression that anyone with a line was banned, not that it was also voluntary.

unit_circle said:
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering because I someone with over 1000 posts with a line through their name, and it didn't seem like a person who should be banned. I was under the impression that anyone with a line was banned, not that it was also voluntary.
It may be a temorary cooling off period. In a few days the line might be gone.

They could also be dead.

Or perhaps in intensive care because MIH neglected to thaw the carp before administering the ritual discipline.

turbo-1 said:
Or perhaps in intensive care because MIH neglected to thaw the carp before administering the ritual discipline.
(We've lost many members that way) :redface:

Evo said:
(We've lost many members that way) :redface:

but they died with honor. Sort of.

unit_circle said:

Perhaps you are referring to courtrigrad, I think he mentioned something about leaving. (Too bad, he did a great job.)

turbo-1 said:

Doesn't sound good. Definitely doesn't. :biggrin:

radou said:
Doesn't sound good. Definitely doesn't. :biggrin:
She is very busy and doesn't always take the time to thaw the carp. If you give her a jar of home-made habanero sauce, she will probably take the time to thaw the carp, and if you make some hickory-smoked pulled pork in the meantime, she may wear the stilettos and fishnets during the disciplinary ritual. Not that I would know. :uhh:

I'm gentle as long as they don't forget the pickles on my BBQ sandwich. That's when I get violent.

What? No cole-slaw? Did I over-tip?? :grumpy: That happens every time!

Last edited:

1. What is a "Line Through Name"?

A "Line Through Name" is a term used to describe a line drawn through a person's name, usually on official documents or records. It can also refer to a line drawn through a name on a list or roster.

2. Why would a name have a line through it?

There are several reasons why a name may have a line through it. It could indicate a change in name, such as a marriage or adoption. It could also indicate that the person is deceased. In some cases, it may be used to indicate that the person is no longer associated with a particular organization or group.

3. Is a "Line Through Name" always permanent?

No, a line through a name is not always permanent. As mentioned before, it could be due to a change in name or status. In many cases, a line through a name can be removed or changed if the necessary updates or corrections are made.

4. Does a "Line Through Name" have any legal significance?

In most cases, a line through a name does not have any legal significance. It is usually used for administrative or organizational purposes and does not affect the legal status of the individual associated with the name.

5. Can a "Line Through Name" be interpreted differently in different cultures?

Yes, the interpretation of a line through a name can vary in different cultures. In some cultures, a line through a name may indicate dishonor or disownment, while in others it may simply be a way to indicate a change in name or status. It is important to consider cultural context when interpreting a "Line Through Name".