Determining Thevenin's Equivalent and Vc for Circuit with DC & AC Sources

In summary: I agree with Find Vth and Rth. So, is my understanding correct that when finding thevenin equivalent, the load should be removed?In summary, the conversation discusses finding Thevenin's equivalent for a circuit with a capacitor between nodes a and b. The attempt at a solution involves using superposition to solve for Thevenin's equivalent and determining whether the DC and AC sources should be combined or kept separate. There is some disagreement about the value of Rth, but the final conclusion is that the load should be removed when finding Thevenin's equivalent.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Find thevenin's equivalent for the capacitor between node a and b and determine Vc (image attached)

Homework Equations

I know I can use superposition to get Voc, but when I add the two answers together, can I combine them into a single source or keep them seperated?

The Attempt at a Solution

After finding Thevenin's equivalent (E = 12V + 24V<0) & (Z = 9 - j1 ohms <~ after I plug the capacitor back in), I THINK i need to keep the sources separate and do another superposition. so using the DC source: the capacitor acts as an open, meaning Vc= 12V, and using the AC source: a voltage divider: (24V<0)(-j1/(9 - j1)).

answer: 12V + 2.64V<-83.7

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
upload your image on imageshack or something. Sometimes it takes awhile to get an image approved if you upload it on the forum

okay, i was unaware

scan0008.jpg

Yes, that should be it.

Not sure what you are actually asking but ...

To get thevenin's equivalent just need to know two things: [tex]V_T, R_T[/tex].

since there are no dependent sources, you can work out [tex]R_T[/tex] by simply zeroing all sources. voltage source->short circuit, current source->open circuit. and then look back from outside terminals a-b to see what is the resistance in there. that's your [tex]R_T[/tex]. I assumed your [tex]1\Omega[/tex] for the capacitor is actually [tex]-j\Omega[/tex] from your diagram. The phase you have written down for this seems correct but the magitute seems not (should check again).

For the [tex]V_T[/tex], it is better to work out short-circuit current first, then [tex]V_T=i_{sc} R_T[/tex]. Use node voltage analysis. And by the way, it is not 12V! you have two sources there... unless it is one big coincidence.

mjsd said:
And by the way, it is not 12V!

none of my answers were simply "12V". For the thevenin's voltage I got:

12V + 24V<0

which brings me back to my ORIGINAL question (this is what I was actually asking) about whether you can combine this DC and AC voltage into a single voltage source or keep them seperated.

as for Rth, i got 9 ohms

Last edited:
ok, now I understand what you are asking. ignore my previous post. Now whether you want to combine them, it is just how you may want to "draw" the diagram you can have one voltage with
[tex]\displaymath{V_{T}(t)=12 + 24\cos (\omega t + \phi) V}[/tex]
now here [tex]\phi[/tex] is 0 if that's what your phasor means or -90 if your convention is to use [tex]\sin[/tex] instead.

alternatively, you can have one phasor source and one DC source. Don't think it is that important which one you use to represent it. but remember though you can't really "absorb" the constant 12V. think about it... it is like shifting the entire sinusoid up.

and no, I didn't get [tex]R_T[/tex] as real.

care to explain?

shorting the voltage source and opening the current source leaves a 6 ohm resistor and a 3 ohm resistor when looking at the opened capacitor? maybe we're trying to find different things, but 9 ohms is my answer for thevenin's resistance, and (9 ohms - j1 ohms) is the total resistance with the capacitor plugged back into thevenin's equivalent.

That's one "you're right" and one "you're wrong" for my answer on this problem

anyone want to break the tie?

Last edited:
Well the way I see it, [itex]R_{th}[/itex] is 9 ohms. And when you plug the capacitor back into the thevenin circuit, the total impedance, Z, is [itex]R_{th} + X_c[/itex] which gives 9 ohms - j1 ohms.

ok, we could have been looking at the circuit slightly differently, I included the capacitor in every steps, ie. assumming that the capacitor has to be integrated in the equivalent circuit as well. Since you have phasor sources, my understanding is that you can't treat capacitors as open circuit once you have zeroed the sources for the purpose of working out [tex]R_T[/tex]. anyway, if the capacitor is supposed to be excluded from the equivalent circuit then what you have done looks fine to me (I have not double checked your numerical answers though... but method is correct)

mjsd said:
ok, we could have been looking at the circuit slightly differently, I included the capacitor in every steps, ie. assumming that the capacitor has to be integrated in the equivalent circuit as well.

When you do thevenin for this circuit, the load (capacitor) has to be removed. There is no need to include it in steps to find Vth or Rth. Only after the equivalent circuit is found then you include it if you wish to find things such as total impedance.

ok, I didn't look at it that way , but what you said is correct. I thought the terminals a-b are the external terminals that is to be attached to some load...(not shown in diagram) and hence I interpreted the capacitor as part of circuit...and treated the problem as "given this circuit, turn it into a Thevenin equivalent about the terminals a,b"... But obviously, both of u saw the capacitor as a load instead, ... ok, may be the diagram should have been better drawn or someone should tell me that the capacitor is actually the load. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the difference between DC and AC sources in a circuit?

DC (Direct Current) sources provide a constant, unidirectional flow of electrical energy, while AC (Alternating Current) sources provide a changing flow of electrical energy that periodically reverses direction.

2. Can a circuit have both DC and AC sources?

Yes, a circuit can have both DC and AC sources. In fact, many household circuits use a combination of both types of sources to power different devices.

3. How do DC and AC sources affect the behavior of a circuit?

DC sources are typically used to power devices that require a constant flow of electricity, such as batteries. AC sources, on the other hand, allow for the transmission of electrical energy over long distances and are commonly used in power grids.

4. Do I need to use different components for DC and AC circuits?

While some components may be specifically designed for use in either DC or AC circuits, many components can be used in both types of circuits. However, it is important to ensure that the components you are using are compatible with the type of circuit you are building.

5. How do I calculate the voltage and current in a circuit with DC and AC sources?

To calculate voltage and current in a circuit with DC and AC sources, you will need to use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the equations for calculating AC voltage and current (V=Vmaxsinωt and I=Imaxsinωt, respectively). It is also important to take into account the impedance of the circuit, which can be calculated using the equation Z=√(R2+X2), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance of the circuit.