Carbon hardening agent in Iron and metal alloys

In summary, carbon is commonly used as a hardening agent in iron and metal alloys to increase their strength and durability. It is added during the manufacturing process and forms a solid solution with the iron atoms, resulting in a stronger and more resilient material. Carbon hardening is a crucial process in the production of steel, as it allows for the creation of various grades with different levels of hardness and strength. This technique is widely used in the automotive and construction industries, among others, to produce high-quality and reliable products.
Jacquesl
Steel is a metal alloy whose major component is iron, with carbon content between 0.02% and 1.7% by weight

Carbon and other elements act as a hardening agent, preventing dislocations in the iron atom crystal lattice from sliding past one another

Stainless steel has a minimum of 10% chromium content mixed in it and then you get Stainless steel

So the chromium forms a passivation layer of chromium(III) oxide (Cr2O3) when exposed to oxygen. The layer is too thin to be visible, meaning the metal stays shiny.

So why does carbon and/or other elements acts as a hardening agent.

So my big question is, do you get something like a softening agent to make metal softer

And how do people get it right to mix metals with different groups, common example brass it made from Zinc and Copper, but not sure if that will melt together, it’s like to mix Copper with Lead and won't work.

But if you melt tin with lead it works nicely.

So if it has the same periods it works or something?

But lead also goes with gold, that’s weird because it’s also in the same period, can someone please teach me this stuff, I’ll really appreciate it

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon in steels forms carbides - particularly a carbide of Fe - cementite (Fe3C). Carbides are hard themselves, but dispersed in steel, they strengthen the alloy by dispersion strengthening, which as mentioned prevents the glide of dislocations and sliding/slipping of atoms in the lattice.

So my big question is, do you get something like a softening agent to make metal softer
Add less carbon.

See The Effects of Alloying Elements on Iron-Carbon Alloys

Iron and Its Interstitial Solid Solutions

The Iron-Carbon Equilibrium Diagram

Strengthening mechanisms in alloy steel

More at - http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles

Elements of the same group or similar valence do often have better solubility.

Solid solution is another strengthening mechanism. Sn is added to Zr to strengthen the Zr. Zr-Sn forms a solid solution.

Any alloy of Cu and Zn will melt, but one has to look at the phase diagram.

Cu is used as alloying element with gold - which also provides some strengthening.

Last edited:
You said I must add less carbon, but I want to do a experiment with steel or any other metal to make it as soft as lead, but carbon makes it hard so what will make it softer, will adding oxygen makes it softer or/and oxidize it all.

And something I don’t understand that good, then does Iron (Fe) becomes cementite (Fe3). Does that happens then carbon is added, and that type of carbon is use? I’m more sure but I’ve seen on TV that they take piece of burned up toast and then make diamond glass with it.

Also with Pyrite (FeS2 ) then does that S get another small 2 and what does that mean?

Jacquesl said:
You said I must add less carbon, but I want to do a experiment with steel or any other metal to make it as soft as lead, but carbon makes it hard so what will make it softer, will adding oxygen makes it softer or/and oxidize it all.
I am not aware of any alloying agent that softens steel to the same degree as lead. Lead, silver and gold are the softest metals. Iron and steel are relatively strong elements, and alloying is usually done to strengthen or improve corrosion resistance.

And something I don’t understand that good, then does Iron (Fe) becomes cementite (Fe3C). Does that happens then carbon is added, and that type of carbon is use? I’m more sure but I’ve seen on TV that they take piece of burned up toast and then make diamond glass with it.
The formation of cementite just happens, but its distribution can be affected by temperature and cooling rate. Carbon is soluble in iron, up to a point. One can have low-carbon, medium-carbon and high-carbon steels. Above 2% (by weight), the alloy is considered 'cast iron'.

See this page for some applications of cast iron - http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2001/adi/cast.iron.html

Also with Pyrite (FeS2 ) then does that S get another small 2 and what does that mean?
I am not sure what one is asking. Sulphides in steel are undesirable from the standpoint of strength and fatigue resistance. Consequently, sulfur is removed from iron in the initial processing before alloying. However, S is added to some steels for better machinability, but that also limits the applications. Mo can be added to the steel to bind the S in MoS2, which would act as a dispersion strengthening agent.

MoS2 is a dry lubricant but that is between surfaces, not in the alloy.

Last edited:
I’m talking about that second small 2 added after the S in Pyrite, do you know what that means, I would like to know?

Pyrite (FeS2 ) - appearance, yellow/gold
Pyrrhotite (FeS ) – appearance, brown like wet rust

Are you asking about this "2" : FeS2??

If you really are (though it makes no sense to me that you would be - after all, you seem to understand what Cr2O3 is), then all I can say is that you really need to look into a high-school chemistry textbook - it will explain what a chemical formula is.
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Radiography/chemicalformula.htm

If that's not what you are asking about, you need to explain more clearly what "2" you are referring to. There is only one "2" in the formula for pyrite.

Last edited:
Jacquesl said:
I’m talking about that second small 2 added after the S in Pyrite, do you know what that means, I would like to know?
I think the question is why FeS vs FeS2.

That has to with thermodynamic equilibirium, and that will depend on the relative amounts of each element. It seems that FeS2 is the more common and perhaps more stable compound.

http://webmineral.com/data/Pyrite.shtml

Here’s a probably more common example to work with: Oxygen

Oxygen – O1
Peroxide - O2
Ozone - O3
Tetraoxygen - O4

How does it works if you want to add another oxygen atom to the existing oxygen atom

Like say, normal oxygen just O and then O2 how does that transformation process works
I know if you want to make some kind off ozone O3 you mix the oxygen O with some high voltage sparks and then you get a very fresh smell, kinda like it have just rained

Last edited:
The most common form of elemental oxygen is the diatomic molecule O2. Ozone, O3, is not so common because interaction with UV is break it down and it is also a powerful oxidizer so will more readily react chemically with other elements.

Peroxides tend to be chemically unstable (and powerful oxidizers).

I am not familiar with tetraoxygen, but likely its existence requires higher pressure than normal atmospheric pressure and a pure oxygen enviroment.

Last edited:
But then does O becomes O2 it's the same this FeS and FeS2, then does FeS becomes FeS2 / FeSS I’m not able to make that Small 2

I don’t understand this transformation yet, then one atom bonds with another atom with the same chemical symbol

This is somewhat a dumb question... I've been studying carburzing for a while now, and infact I've even carburized materials at 1700 degrees F. I know the slightest amount of carbon adds an incredable amount of strength, but what commercial practical applications is it used for really... I know all commercial steels contain carbon, ect... and this question makes me sound dumb, but what are more of the vital applications of carburizing...

snowJT said:
This is somewhat a dumb question... I've been studying carburzing for a while now, and infact I've even carburized materials at 1700 degrees F. I know the slightest amount of carbon adds an incredable amount of strength, but what commercial practical applications is it used for really... I know all commercial steels contain carbon, ect... and this question makes me sound dumb, but what are more of the vital applications of carburizing...
Carburizing (and nitriding, carbonitriding and boronizing are thermochemical processes in which the outer portion of a metal can be hardened by the formation of phases which are harder. The process is generically known as "Case Hardening".

The objective is to form a 'wear-resistant' (hard) coating over a strong and ductile/tough (i.e. resists mechanical failure/fracture) body. Gears and transmission parts are typically 'case hardened'.

See these -

Ref. 1 - http://www.chta.co.uk/downloads/data_2.pdf
Ref.1 said:
Process or Treatments - Carburising and carbonitriding are “thermochemical” treatments, usually conducted at temperatures in the range 800-940°C, in the first stage of “case-hardening”. These processes change the chemical composition of the surface of a low-carbon steel component so that subsequent fast cooling, by “quenching”, produces a hard “case” combined with a softer/tougher “core”. Quenching is normally followed by a low-temperature tempering / stress relieving treatment.

In carburising, controlled levels of carbon are introduced at the surface and allowed to diffuse to a controlled depth; in carbonitriding, nitrogen is also imparted, along with the carbon, to improve case hardenability. The heat treater employs a variety of processing media to achieve these objectives, including controlled gaseous atmospheres and molten salt (“cyaniding”).

Benefit: Carburising and carbonitriding case-hardening treatments offer a means of enhancing the strength and wear properties of parts made from relatively-inexpensive easily worked materials. Generally applied to near-finished components, the processes impart a high-hardness wear resistant surface which, with sufficient depth, can also improve fatigue strength. Applications range from simple mild steel pressings to heavy-duty alloy-steel transmission components.

Ref. 2 - http://www.burlingtoneng.com/case_hardening.html

Ref. 3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_hardening - actually pretty reliable description.

See also

Carburizing
Gas Carburizing
Nitriding

and more at http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles#p7

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacquesl said:
But then does O becomes O2 it's the same this FeS and FeS2, then does FeS becomes FeS2 / FeSS I’m not able to make that Small 2

To make a subscript type [ sub]2[ /sub] but remove the space before s in the first bracket and / in the second bracket. For the superscript replace 'sub' with 'sup'. Its html code.

I don’t understand this transformation yet, then one atom bonds with another atom with the same chemical symbol
OK, I think I understand the problem here.

The chemical formula simply gives a 'stoichiometric' formula, but does not necessarily (nor usually) give any information about 'structure.

FeS means one S for each Fe. FeS2 means 2 sulfur atoms for each Fe. Both would have some crystal structure.

See the image on the upper right on this page - http://courses.washington.edu/ess212/carbonatesetc_files/slide0017.htm

This is a simple example, To my understanding adding carbon to iron is like to adding some kinds of diamonds structures to iron in nm structures or something

Last edited:
Jacquesl said:
This is a simple example, To my understanding adding carbon to iron is like to adding some kinds of diamonds structures to iron in nm structures or something
No, that is not correct. Diamond has a particular crystalline or lattice structure in which one carbon atoms shares bonds with 4 neighboring carbon atoms, which forms somewhat of a tetrahedral structure. See - http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/a4.html

There are 'diamond coatings', but there will be metal and carbide substrates associated with the interface between metal and coating.

In steel, carbon forms 'carbides' with Fe (e.g. Fe3C) and other alloying elements: Cr, W, Mo, V, Ti, Nb, Ta, Zr.

See this article - Influence of Alloying Elements on Steel Microstructure

Here is FeS2 structure - http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/FeS2.html or http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/c2.html

Sulfur and its compounds - http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/sulfur.html

Crystal LatticeStructures - http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/

thank you so much for the information Astronuc, you always have so much information

Then does you know then different types of metal can be alloyed/mixed with each other, like Pb and Cu won't go but Pb and tin (Sn) works very nice and I think Pb and Al also mix, bit I’m not able to alloy Cu with Zn do you maybe know way this don’t want to work?
I’m working with a oxy-torch the max temp is ~1700C

Jacquesl said:
Then does you know then different types of metal can be alloyed/mixed with each other, like Pb and Cu won't go but Pb and tin (Sn) works very nice and I think Pb and Al also mix, bit I’m not able to alloy Cu with Zn do you maybe know way this don’t want to work?
I’m working with a oxy-torch the max temp is ~1700C
Cu and Zn do form alloys - brass.

Sn and Pb form solder alloys, although Pb-free Sn solders are preferred nowadays.

I am not sure why would want to make Pb-Cu alloys, but there are such alloys. See - http://www.key-to-nonferrous.com/Articles/Article10.htm

It is generally difficult to alloy metals of different densities and chemical properties.

1. What is a carbon hardening agent in iron and metal alloys?

A carbon hardening agent is a substance that is added to iron and metal alloys to increase their strength and hardness. Carbon is a common hardening agent used in steel production, as it forms strong chemical bonds with iron atoms, making the material more durable.

2. How does carbon harden iron and metal alloys?

When carbon is added to iron and metal alloys, it forms a chemical compound called iron carbide. This compound strengthens the material by creating a lattice structure that makes it more difficult for atoms to slide past each other, resulting in a harder and stronger material.

3. What is the process of adding carbon as a hardening agent to iron and metal alloys?

The process of adding carbon as a hardening agent is called carbonization. It involves heating the iron or metal alloy in a carbon-rich environment, such as burning coal or charcoal, to allow the carbon atoms to diffuse into the material. The amount of carbon added determines the level of hardness and strength of the final product.

4. What are the advantages of using carbon as a hardening agent?

Using carbon as a hardening agent has several advantages. It is a cost-effective and widely available substance, making it a popular choice in metal production. It also allows for the production of a wide range of hardness levels, making it suitable for various applications. Additionally, carbon-hardened materials can be easily shaped and formed, making them versatile for different manufacturing processes.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using carbon as a hardening agent?

While carbon is a commonly used hardening agent, there are some potential drawbacks to its use. One issue is that too much carbon can make the material brittle and prone to cracking. Additionally, the carbonization process can be time-consuming and energy-intensive. Finally, using carbon as a hardening agent can result in increased carbon emissions, contributing to environmental concerns.