The speed of light and the expansion of the universe

In summary, galaxies are allowed to recede faster than the speed of light due to the expansion of the universe, which is not a relative velocity but a change in the geometry of space. The latest version of the Big Bang theory does not propose that the universe came from nothing, and there are various theories being explored by scientists. The idea of the universe coming from nothing is not a popular belief among those studying the subject. The oscillating universe and cosmological inflationary theory are two popular theories that do not require the assumption of something from nothing. There are also more abstract, philosophical discussions surrounding the nature of the beginning of the universe.
Robert J. Grave
Can galaxies move faster than light, the speed limit, do to expansion of the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
They are allowed to recede faster than [itex]c[/itex] as for example in the standard cosmological model for galaxies located at higher redshifts than z > 1.4. The recession is not a relative velocity but a change of the geometry of space, and galaxies are at rest in the comoving coordinate system from which the universe is observed as homogeneous and isotropic. In special relativity, the speed limit of [itex]c[/itex] arises for motion of object relative to each other in a space with static geometry. This means also that the cosmological redshift is not a Doppler effect due to relative motion but a pure general relativistic effect due to stretching of space.

Thanks hellfire, galaxies moving within a changing space geometry makes sence. I can put that question to rest now.
Regarding my post about conservation, you are correct, we really do not
understand the physics at or before the big bang. My question is, if it did come from nothing, wouldn't that violate the conservation of mass/energy?
I personally would need strong evidence to accept the universe came about from nothing.

Robert J. Grave said:
I personally would need strong evidence to accept the universe came about from nothing.

The latest version of Big Bang theory does not have the universe coming from nothing.

there was just a 3-week workshop about this at a UC Santa Barbara institute called KITP.
The workshop was called "The Quantum Nature of Spacetime Singularities".

http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/singular_m07/

World-class scientists from Europe Canada Latin America and of course the USA attended and presented papers. A lot of it is online---you can download movies of the talks.

I did not hear anybody making the supposition that the universe "came from nothing". Maybe one or two of them did (I did not watch all of the talks) but they were probably a small minority. I gather that "came from nothing" (whatever that means) is not a fashionable view among the people actually doing the research these days. The effort is to get a handle on what was going on immediately before the beginning of expansion, and there are a bunch of competing ideas.

Last edited:
Two popular theories, which have strong mathematical and (perhaps mostly indirect) empirical evidence, regarding the ‘big bang’ is the oscillating universe and cosmological inflationary theory, both of which avoid the ‘something out of nothing’ postulate.

If you are interested in a more abstract, philosophical discussion of causal relations and the nature of the inception of the universe, engage me in some dialogue, my friend.

I know from Vilenkin to have said that the universe came from nothing, but within the realm of his quantum cosmology proposal he means a vanishing (spatial) three-geometry [itex]g_{ij} = 0[/itex], as you can read for example below equation (8) in http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9812027 . This does not actually mean nothing at all, but of course something that is far from our usual notions of space and time. Probably, the wrong usage here of the term "nothing" was exported to popular articles leading to some confusion. More refined theories of quantum cosmology go even further and assume different classical regimes beyond the classical singularity (see for example the link marcus has provided or brane cosmology).

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, am glad to here of the abandoment from the idea of something from nothing as I was never able to accept it. The oscillating universe makes more sence, for one idea. Watching the Hawking movie of his early days, He came up with a time direction reversal taking a black hole and reversing time making it explode back into normal matter/energy, the big bang?

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the symbol c. In a vacuum, it has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). This means that light can travel around the Earth more than seven times in one second!

2. How does the speed of light affect the expansion of the universe?

The speed of light is important in understanding the expansion of the universe because it is the fastest possible speed at which any information or energy can travel. This means that the expansion of the universe is also limited by the speed of light, and objects that are farther away from us are moving away at faster speeds due to the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of light and the expansion of the universe?

The speed of light and the expansion of the universe are closely related through the theory of relativity. According to this theory, the speed of light is constant, and the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This means that as the universe expands, objects are moving away from each other at faster speeds, but the speed of light remains constant.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. Therefore, the speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit.

5. How do scientists measure the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure the expansion of the universe, including observing the redshift of distant galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and measuring the brightness and distance of Type Ia supernovae. These methods provide evidence that the universe is expanding at an accelerated rate.