Uniform Electric Field: Direction and Charge Calculation

In summary, a positively charged bead with a mass of 1g fell from rest in a vacuum from a height of 5m in a uniform vertical electric field with a magnitude of 1 x 10^4 N/C. The bead hit the ground at a speed of 21 m/s. By comparing the final speed of the bead with and without the electric field, the direction of the electric field was determined to be downward, in the same direction as gravity. To find the charge of the bead, the equation -W-F_e=ma was used, where F_e=qE, and the charge was solved for.
AdKo

Homework Statement

A positively charged bead having a mass of 1g falls from rest in a vacuum from a height of 5m in a uniform vertical electric field with a magnitude of 1 x 10^4 N/C. The bead hits the ground at a speed of 21 m/s. Determine a) the direction of the electric field (upward or downward), and b) the charge on the bead.

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2
F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I want to make sure that my diagram is correctly drawn. I'm sort of of confused on how the electric field and vacuum are positioned.

http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=52diagramhd1.png

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
AdKo said:
...in a uniform vertical electric field with a magnitude of...

The field in your drawing is horizontal.

Oh my, lol. How stupid of me. Well if the electric field is vertical, wouldn't the electric field be pointed downwards? or is there a trick to this question. I guess it wouldn't be that easy right? My guess is that I will need to use Newton's second law and forces?

In order to figure out the direction of the electric field, you first need to see at what speed would the bead hit the ground if there is no electric field involved.

antonantal said:
In order to figure out the direction of the electric field, you first need to see at what speed would the bead hit the ground if there is no electric field involved.

Here's my new diagramhttp://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=52diagramac0.png

Btw, are the forces that act on the bead (when the field is off) its weight and the drag force? How do you calculate its drag force? I'm just confused about that. There would still be a drag force when the electric field is turned on right?

How come you need to know the speed with no electric field? Can't you just pick one of the electric fields and test it?

AdKo said:
Btw, are the forces that act on the bead (when the field is off) its weight and the drag force? How do you calculate its drag force? I'm just confused about that. There would still be a drag force when the electric field is turned on right?

There's no drag force in vacuum.

AdKo said:
How come you need to know the speed with no electric field? Can't you just pick one of the electric fields and test it?

Yes you can. If you consider a random direction and in the end the result says that the charge has a negative sign, than it means that you chose the wrong direction. But I would make a quick calculation to see the right direction from the beginning.

antonantal said:

Are you sure about that?

antonantal said:

Yes you can. If you consider a random direction and in the end the result says that the charge has a negative sign, than it means that you chose the wrong direction. But I would make a quick calculation to see the right direction from the beginning.

So if there's no drag for in a vacuum, then the only two forces acting in the mass is gravity and the electric force caused by the electric field (F=qE) correct?

So how do you even calculate the direction? Are you suppose to use F=ma to find the acceleration? Do you need to use any of the kinematics equation?

Right now I have -W-F=ma so, -mg-qE=ma

however, I don't know the charge of the bead. What am I doing wrong/missing here?

AznBoi said:
antonantal said:

Are you sure about that?

The http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/drag1.html" would be generated by the interaction of the bead with a fluid. But since the bead falls in a vacuum and in the vacuum there's no fluid, there's no drag force either. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdKo said:
So if there's no drag for in a vacuum, then the only two forces acting in the mass is gravity and the electric force caused by the electric field (F=qE) correct?

So how do you even calculate the direction? Are you suppose to use F=ma to find the acceleration? Do you need to use any of the kinematics equation?

Right now I have -W-F=ma so, -mg-qE=ma

however, I don't know the charge of the bead. What am I doing wrong/missing here?

Use this equation to find the acceleration of the bead:

[tex]V^2={V_0}^2+2ad[/tex]

where [tex]V[/tex] is the speed at the final point, [tex]V_0[/tex] is the speed at the starting point, [tex]d[/tex] is the distance between the starting point and the final point, and [tex]a[/tex] is the acceleration.

Also using this equation you could find the speed of the bead at the final point assuming no electric field. If the speed without the E field is smaller than the speed with the E field, what does it tell you regarding the direction of the E field?

Last edited:
antonantal said:
Use this equation to find the acceleration of the bead:

[tex]V^2={V_0}^2+2ad[/tex]

where [tex]V[/tex] is the speed at the final point, [tex]V_0[/tex] is the speed at the starting point, [tex]d[/tex] is the distance between the starting point and the final point, and [tex]a[/tex] is the acceleration.

Also using this equation you could find the speed of the bead at the final point assuming no electric field. If the speed without the E field is smaller than the speed with the E field, what does it tell you regarding the direction of the E field?

Ok, so I found the final speed of the bead without the electrical field by using the equation you gave me:

[tex] v=\sqrt{2*9.8*5} [/tex] and the final velocity would be 9.9m/s which is less than the final velocity with the electrical field so that must mean the electrical field points downwards right? in the same direction as gravity? because with the electrical field the final velocity is faster than without.

To find the charge of the bead, do I plug it into this equation?:

[tex] -W-F_{e}=ma[/tex] Where F_e=qE and then solve for (q)?? Thanks!

AdKo said:
To find the charge of the bead, do I plug it into this equation?:

[tex] -W-F_{e}=ma[/tex] Where F_e=qE and then solve for (q)?? Thanks!

Why use [tex]-[/tex] ? Why not [tex]W+F_{e}=ma[/tex] ?

antonantal said:

I dunno. I have always made forces that pointed downwards negative and the upward forces positive. Which is correct?? Why do you make them positive? I always have trouble deciding this by the way.

antonantal said:

I guess I should make W and F_e positive if I make the acceleration positive? Is that how it works?

Wait, how do I know whether the acceleration is upwards or downwards? Haha, I'm getting confused again. =/

AdKo said:
I dunno. I have always made forces that pointed downwards negative and the upward forces positive. Which is correct?? Why do you make them positive? I always have trouble deciding this by the way.

It doesn't matter if it points upwards or downwards. The two vectors representing the two sides of the equality must point in the same direction. In your case, [tex]W+F_e[/tex] points downwards, and so does the acceleration, so you need not a minus sign.

If you would've had an equality between two vectors that point in opposite directions, then you would've used a minus.

AdKo said:
Wait, how do I know whether the acceleration is upwards or downwards? Haha, I'm getting confused again. =/

The acceleration as found from the formula I gave you, points (by definition) from the point in which the speed is [tex]V_0[/tex] (i.e the initial point) towards the point in which the speed is [tex]V[/tex] (the final point).
If the so-found acceleration would have been negative than it would have point in the opposite direction.

antonantal said:
The acceleration as found from the formula I gave you, points (by definition) from the point in which the speed is [tex]V_0[/tex] (i.e the initial point) towards the point in which the speed is [tex]V[/tex] (the final point).
If the so-found acceleration would have been negative than it would have point in the opposite direction.

I see, ok thanks for all your help! :smile:

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a special type of electric field in which the electric field strength is constant at every point. This means that the direction and magnitude of the electric field is the same at all points within the field.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field is created by placing two oppositely charged parallel plates close together. The electric field lines between the plates are parallel and evenly spaced, resulting in a uniform electric field between the plates.

3. What are the characteristics of a uniform electric field?

The characteristics of a uniform electric field include a constant electric field strength, parallel electric field lines, and equal potential difference between two points in the field.

4. What is the importance of uniform electric fields?

Uniform electric fields are important in many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators and capacitors. They also help us to understand the behavior of electric charges in a controlled and predictable manner.

5. How is the electric field strength measured in a uniform electric field?

The electric field strength in a uniform electric field is measured using a device called an electric field sensor. This sensor measures the force on a test charge placed in the field, and the electric field strength is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.