Dissolving Solids: Can They Be Reformed?

• Thread starter erka15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solids
In summary, the conversation is about the two different results of dissolving solids. It is mentioned that every substance has a "Ksp" which represents its solubility at equilibrium. The conversation also discusses factors that affect solubility, such as temperature and concentration. It is suggested to use Google or Wikipedia for more information.
erka15
I would type the problem but it's really long. I just need to know what the two different results are for dissolving solids because I completely forgot. I think it has to do with if you can bring them back or not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about diffusion or solubility? It seems like you know what you are searching for better than we do, try google or wikipedia.

I'm talking about solubilty. I've tried to look it up but i can't find any thing.

Well every substance has a "Ksp" called the solubility which is the product of the concentrations of the products at equilibrium. Most substances will dissolve then go back to solid and redissolve, and based on different factors like temp, conc. of reactants, etc. they will reach a state of equilibrium, the values for the products at this point are the ksp.

For example

Take the Reaction
aX -> Ca+ + Dx-

[a+]^C[x-]^D = Ksp(solubility product) for compound aX

Does that shed any light on this question? I think this is probably posted in the wrong area.

Last edited:
Ok, well, I think the wikipedia link helped a little bit. Thanks any way.

1. How does a solid dissolve?

A solid dissolves when its individual particles separate from each other and mix with the particles of the liquid solvent. This process is known as solvation.

2. Can a dissolved solid be reformed?

In most cases, a dissolved solid cannot be reformed into its original solid form. This is because the process of dissolving involves breaking down the solid into individual particles, and it is difficult to reverse this process.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a dissolved solid cannot be reformed?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this rule. Some solids, such as sugar and salt, can be reformed by evaporating the liquid solvent. This process is known as crystallization.

4. How does temperature affect the dissolution of solids?

Generally, an increase in temperature can speed up the process of dissolving solids. This is because the particles of the solid and solvent have more energy and are able to move and mix more quickly. However, some solids may have different solubility levels at different temperatures.

5. Can the amount of solvent affect the dissolution of solids?

Yes, the amount of solvent can affect the dissolution of solids. In general, a larger amount of solvent can dissolve more of the solid, while a smaller amount of solvent may only be able to dissolve a limited amount of the solid. This is due to the concentration of particles in the solvent and its ability to interact with and separate the particles of the solid.