Temperature Effects of a Doubled Radiation Emission from an HII Region

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of doubling the radiation emitted by a star on the temperature of an HII region. While there may be some initial expansion of the region, the increase in radiation ultimately results in an increase in temperature due to the excess energy of the ionizing photons. The balance between heating and cooling mechanisms, particularly recombination, determines the equilibrium temperature of the gas in the region, which is not affected by the radius of the sphere. Knowing the temperature allows for the calculation of the radius of the Strömgren sphere based on the recombination rate.
Poppop
If the star ionizing an HII region suddenly doubled the radiation emitted, would that increase or decrease the temperature? I feel like the expansion of the region would cancel out the increased energy, but I don't know.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My impression is that the temperature does indeed increase. I think that the growth in radius of a Strömgren sphere due to increase in radiation of the star is not an "expansion" of the sphere, but an shift of the limit at which the properties of the gas change. Taking this into account I would proceed as follows to make some calculations.

For most of the ionizing stars, a high fraction of the ionizing photons will have energies greater than the ionization energy of hydrogen. The excess of energy of the ionizing photons will become kinetic energy of the electron gas. Knowing the temperature of the star and considering this excess of energy, you should be able to calculate or make some assumption about the average energy of a photo-ejected electron.

On the other hand, the heating mechanisms will be balanced by cooling and the gas will tend to local thermodynamic equilibrium. I guess that cooling of the electron gas will be mainly due to recombination. You should be able to express the average energy that is loss in the gas for a single recombined electron. Probably there are other cooling processes, but this would make things too complex.

Since in equilibrium the recombination rate is equal to the ionization rate in the sphere, the energetic balance between those two quantities for an average electron should provide the equilibrium temperature. As you see, at least according to my understanding, the radius of the sphere does not have any impact on the determination of the temperature.

Knowing the temperature, the recombination rate [itex]\beta[/itex] is known which provides the necessary information to calculate the radius of the Strömgren sphere. Putting things together you should come to an relation between the radius and the increase in radiation. This would be a nice exercise.

Last edited:

If the star ionizing an HII region suddenly doubled the radiation emitted, the temperature of the region would likely increase. This is because the increased radiation would provide more energy to the gas particles in the region, causing them to move faster and increase the overall temperature. The expansion of the region may play a role in distributing this energy, but it would not necessarily cancel out the increased radiation. Additionally, the temperature increase may also depend on the specific conditions of the HII region and the strength of the initial radiation emission. Further research and analysis would be needed to determine the exact effects on temperature in this scenario.

1. What is an HII Region?

An HII region is a region of ionized hydrogen gas in space. It is created when high-energy radiation from hot, young stars strips electrons from hydrogen atoms, creating a plasma of ionized hydrogen.

2. How does a doubled radiation emission from an HII region affect temperature?

A doubled radiation emission from an HII region will result in an increase in temperature. This is because the high-energy radiation from the region will deposit more energy into the surrounding gas, causing it to heat up.

3. Can temperature changes in an HII region affect the formation of new stars?

Yes, temperature changes in an HII region can affect the formation of new stars. This is because the temperature of the gas in the region can determine the rate at which it collapses and forms new stars. Higher temperatures can lead to faster star formation.

4. What other factors can influence the temperature of an HII region?

The temperature of an HII region can also be influenced by the density of the gas, the strength of the radiation emitted from the stars, and the physical properties of the surrounding environment such as magnetic fields and turbulence.

5. What are the potential consequences of a significant increase in temperature in an HII region?

A significant increase in temperature in an HII region can lead to changes in the chemistry of the gas, affecting the formation of molecules and potentially altering the conditions for star formation. It can also cause the gas to expand, changing the structure and dynamics of the region.