Calculating Hydrostatic Pressure Difference: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the hydrostatic pressure difference using the formula \Delta P = n*f/A, with f = 0.4 kcal/mol/Å. The unit cell has dimensions of 23Å x 19.9Å x 30.4 Å and contains 5.4 Å of water molecules with a molar volume of 55.5 mol/l. The correct calculation is made by substituting the correct depth value, and the resulting pressure difference is converted to MPa. The correctness of the calculation is uncertain without knowing the context of the question.
greisen
Hi

I am to calculate the hydrostatic pressure difference - given by the

\Delta P = n*f/A

where f = 0.4 kcal/mol/Å. The unit cell has the dimension 23Å x 19.9Å x 30.4 Å and the number of water molecules are 5.4 Å in the z-direction with a molar volume of 55.5 mol/l.

I start by calculating the moles of water
n = 23Å*19.9Å*5.4Å*55.5 mol/l 1000 l/Å^3 = 1.37*10^-19 mol

Than I assume that the force is acting on the 5.4Å depth of water which gives a pressure of

\Delta P = 5.4Å*0.4 kcal/mol/Å*1.37*10^-19 mol /(23*10^-10*19.9*10¯10)m² = 6.47*10^-18 kcal/m^2

It seems a little strange and how to convert into Pascal? Any help or comments appreciated. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Homework & Coursework is the correct place for this question (not the Chemistry subforum).

2. What is the context for all this?

3. Why have you substituted the depth, d=5.4A into the equation?

4. Once you make the correction in 3, you will find you have the correct dimensions to convert to units of Pa.

so this should be okay

0.4 kcal/mol/Å*1.37*10^-19 mol /(23*10^-10*19.9*10¯10)m² = 1.1988e-08 kcal/Å /m^2

and than convert this to Pa? Thanks in advance

I can't attest to the correctness of the calculation without knowing what the question is, but now it is at least dimensionally correct.

Hi

Sorry if it is bit unclear.

I should calculate the pressure difference with a nanotube and on water on both sides. So I will use the formula \Delta P = n*f/A where f = 0.4 kcal/mol/Å and the unit cell of the system is 23Å*19.9Å*30.4Å and the number of water is in the 5.4 Å thick layer with a molar volume of 55.5 mol/l. So I end up with this

\Delta P = 10^10 Å/m 0.4 kcal/mol/Å*1.37*10^-19 mol /(23*10^-10*19.9*10¯10)m² = 119.88 kcal/m m^2

which I convert to MPascal with 1 kcal/m = 4184 N

4184 m/kcal N * 119.88 kcal/m m^2 / 10^6 = 0.50 MPa

Does this seems correct? Thanks in advance

1. What is hydrostatic pressure difference?

Hydrostatic pressure difference is the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid due to the weight of the fluid above those points. It is a measure of the force per unit area exerted by a fluid due to its weight.

2. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure difference?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure difference is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure difference, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the column of fluid.

3. How do you determine the height of the column of fluid in the formula?

The height of the column of fluid can be determined by measuring the vertical distance between the two points where the pressure difference is being calculated. This is typically done using a ruler or measuring tape.

4. What units are used to measure hydrostatic pressure difference?

Hydrostatic pressure difference is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). In some cases, it may also be measured in units of length, such as meters (m).

5. How is hydrostatic pressure difference used in real-world applications?

Hydrostatic pressure difference is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the weight that a structure can support, determining the depth at which a submarine can operate, and predicting the movement of fluids in hydraulic systems. It is also important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.