Can I Post Answers to Problems Online?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of posting solutions to textbook problems on the internet. The participants agree that it is acceptable to post solutions, but not to sell them as the questions are copyrighted. The conversation also mentions the possibility of creating a forum for posting solutions, but some participants express concerns about the risk of students using the solutions to cheat on their homework. Ultimately, it is suggested that creating original practice problems and posting solutions to those would be a better approach.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a question about these.

Am I allowed to post them on the internet?

Like say I did all the problems from a particular chapter in a textbook, am I allowed to post them on the internet for anyone who needs help with it?

They aren't like assignments or anything.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure, why not?

You can, but you cannot try to "sell" your solutions, because the questions are copyrighted.

Oh no, I certainly wouldn't sell them.

The idea is basically to just have available solutions online. That's about it.

andytoh said:
You can, but you cannot try to "sell" your solutions, because the questions are copyrighted.

If that's the case, then the solutions must have copyright as well.

...just be sure to say [1]-Refrences after you post them :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
If that's the case, then the solutions must have copyright as well.

...just be sure to say [1]-Refrences after you post them :rofl:

I can see some questions having copyright, but that would seem quite rare. Most textbooks have identical questions.

Solutions having copyright? I don't see why they would have copyright. Come up with it independently, and it's yours.

JasonRox said:
I can see some questions having copyright, but that would seem quite rare. Most textbooks have identical questions.

Solutions having copyright? I don't see why they would have copyright. Come up with it independently, and it's yours.

But the solutions manual is copyrighted, and so you would be screwed.

JasonRox said:
I have a question about these.

Am I allowed to post them on the internet?

Like say I did all the problems from a particular chapter in a textbook, am I allowed to post them on the internet for anyone who needs help with it?

They aren't like assignments or anything.

What makes you think posting all the answers would help anyone? The worst thing that could happen to a person studying math is to see the solutions to the problems before he has attempted them.

Warning: if you make any mistakes in your solutions, expect to get sued by some student whose parents are lawyers, when their kid fails his/her exams :eek:

HallsofIvy said:
What makes you think posting all the answers would help anyone? The worst thing that could happen to a person studying math is to see the solutions to the problems before he has attempted them.

I can't help the whole world here.

What about the students who did attempt them or completed them? The ones that actually do work. It will help them.

Are you trying to take on PF?

:tongue2:

neutrino said:
Are you trying to take on PF?

:tongue2:

I wouldn't create a forum. That would be insane. Lots of work goes into that!

LET'S HAVE A FORUM DEVOTED TO SOLUTIONS TO TEXTBOOK EXERCISES HERE AT PF.

One thread for each book. I've already done hundreds of problems to textbook exercises (and typed out). I could upload my solutions. If others did the same thing, everyone will benefit from each other. Such a forum would certainly help each other out.

Last edited:
andytoh said:
LET'S HAVE A FORUM DEVOTED TO SOLUTIONS TO TEXTBOOK EXERCISES HERE AT PF.

One thread for each book. I've already done hundreds of problems to textbook exercises (and typed out). I could upload my solutions. If others did the same thing, everyone will benefit from each other. Such a forum would certainly help each other out.
Let's not. It's bad enough as it is now with almost any textbook problem being googlable.

I'm with HallsofIvy on this one.

Well, I guess you're on your own JasonRox.

There's a difference between posting the final answers and showing the work. Many textbooks show the final answers to odd numbered exercises or whatever, so that students can check their work on their own.

There might be value in that, since homework that is handed in generally requires that enough work is shown to prove that the student understood and worked out the problem on their own.

I think that if you want to show general solutions to a class of problems, make up the problems yourself, and solve them in a tutorial way. There might be value in that, and it wouldn't cause problems with copyrights or with helping students to cheat on their homework (and not learn the material in the process).

berkeman said:
There's a difference between posting the final answers and showing the work. Many textbooks show the final answers to odd numbered exercises or whatever, so that students can check their work on their own.

There might be value in that, since homework that is handed in generally requires that enough work is shown to prove that the student understood and worked out the problem on their own.

I think that if you want to show general solutions to a class of problems, make up the problems yourself, and solve them in a tutorial way. There might be value in that, and it wouldn't cause problems with copyrights or with helping students to cheat on their homework (and not learn the material in the process).

Well yeah, but lots of questions aren't copyright material. Probably none of them are.

Students who use them for other intended purposes is none of my responsibility.

Also, if you can google them, then why not round them up in one website. Same thing.

1. Can I get in trouble for posting answers to problems online?

Yes, you could potentially get in trouble for posting answers to problems online. If the problems are from a copyrighted source or if you are sharing answers to a test or exam, you could face legal consequences. It is important to make sure that you have the right to share the information before posting it online.

2. Can I post answers to problems online for educational purposes?

Yes, you can post answers to problems online for educational purposes as long as you properly cite your sources and do not violate any copyright laws. It is always best to get permission from the original source before sharing their content online.

3. Is it ethical to post answers to problems online?

It depends on the context. If the problems are from a public domain source and you are sharing them for educational purposes, it can be considered ethical. However, if the problems are from a copyrighted source or if you are sharing answers to a test or exam, it would be considered unethical and could potentially have legal consequences.

4. Are there any benefits to posting answers to problems online?

Posting answers to problems online can be beneficial for students who are struggling with a particular concept or for teachers looking for supplemental materials. It can also foster a community of learners who can help each other and provide different perspectives on solving problems.

5. What precautions should I take when posting answers to problems online?

When posting answers to problems online, it is important to make sure that you have the right to share the information and that you properly cite your sources. It is also important to consider the potential consequences, such as copyright infringement, before sharing any material online. It is always best to get permission from the original source before sharing their content.