Solving the Two-Cut Rectangular Cake Puzzle

In summary, every two-cut method I come up with has a case that does not work. The first solution that came to mind was your wrong solution #1. It's kind of like the trick where you go up to a jock with a telephone book and say "I bet you 20$ that i can rip this telephone book in half faster than you can".yeah i have heard something like this before ...its a math trick i think something to do with when u bisect a rectangle you always end up halfing it ... or something like that ,,,well something that makes sense ...look into mathematics of rectangles you would find something there . ...I THINK
Cant you have one cut from an edge to a hole, and the other cut from the hole to another edge such that the volumes are equal? The assumption for this to work being that the hole is symmetrical so the volumes divided are also equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
chaoseverlasting said:
Cant you have one cut from an edge to a hole, and the other cut from the hole to another edge such that the volumes are equal? The assumption for this to work being that the hole is symmetrical so the volumes divided are also equal.

Nope. That involves measuring and/or the assumption that the hole is correctly positioned symetrically in the cake. The cake might look like this, for instance:

Code:
+----------------------+
|                      |
| +--+                 |
| |  |                 |
| |  |                 |
| |  |                 |
| +--+                 |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
+----------------------+

Of course, there exist an infinite set of two cuts that can each be made from the edge to the hole such that you create pieces of cake that have equal volume. But in order to find them, you have to measure, which has been expressly forbidden. So any cuts you make have to have guidelines like using existing vertices. Personally, I'd say you could also make cuts that were parallel or perpendicular to existing edges (or cuts), and that that wouldn't constitute measuring, but for all we know, that's out too.

DaveE

cut the cake in half then cut the half without the hole in it in half. You end with two pieces of equal volume. You can eat the remainder.

Just to clarify:
1. We MUST make 2 cut?
2. We MUST end with only two, equal "volume" pieces?
3. We CANNOT measure anything but the final volumes?

And my question:

Do we know WHERE the missing cake segment IS? Are we given a blueprint of the cake and then have to figure it out, or is all we know that it has it?

My solution : Smash the cake flat, cut down the middle(2 cuts, from center to edge, then center to other edge). Who cares about density, the question is about volume. Smashing it takes away the missing part.

Also, how are you defining volume? The amount the cake would displace water if submerged? Or does a cake with a big missing part have the same volume as a cake with no missing part. Is the missing inside-part considered negative to the total volume?
Code:
+-----------+----------+
|           |          |
| +--+      |          |
| |  |      |          |
| |  |      |          |
| |  |      |          |
| +--+      |          |
|           |          |
|           |          |
|            \         |
|             \        |
|              \       |
|               \      |
+----------------------+
Ah, how about answering "It doesn't matter how you cut it, the Volume of a rectangle is always 0."

I think you guys are getting way off track. I'm pretty sure out of whack had the right solution from the start. Not only did it meet all the requirements, but it was elegant just like riddle solutions are supposed to be.

q3snt said:
I'm pretty sure out of whack had the right solution from the start. Not only did it meet all the requirements, but it was elegant just like riddle solutions are supposed to be.

I guess I just see that as violating the "No measuring" rule. It is a possible interpretation given that all you'd need is a long enough straight edge (no demarcations necessary) and the ability to make marks on the cake without technically making a cut. But I guess I just see that as "measuring".

But the other oddity I see with that solution is why bother stating that the rectangular slice was taken out with sides parallel to the edges of the cake? If the solution is Out Of Whack's, then it wouldn't matter what the orientation of the slice was, so long as it was bounded by the edges of the cake.

I guess my honest thought is that OOW's solution probably WAS the one the interviewers were looking for, and that the restatement of the problem here is incorrect, considering that jim.nastics was asked the question a long time ago, and didn't have the correct answer. Since he wasn't able to get a solution, it's entirely possible (and even probable) that he just didn't understand the wording of the question, and assumed "no measuring", or assumed parallel sides, or assumed that a line through both rectangle centers represented only a single cut.

But regardless-- I'd still be interested in knowing if there's an answer given the constraints as I posted earlier, even if it's technically a different problem all together.

DaveE

Throw the cake up high without it spinning and have it fall on the knife. The two parts that are cut will be equal right (like the cut will be through the COM)?