Intermediate algebra , Natural logarithm question

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of natural logarithm and its inverse function, as well as the fact that e raised to the power of ln x will always equal x. The concept is further explained by using an analogy with the square root function.
popsquare
Hello everyone, I do not understand how:: e raised to ln of x = x ?
this notation might make more sense:: e^ln x=x ?
Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By definition, ln(x)=a means e^a=x (i.e. ln is the inverse of e^x).

Obviously though, it seems like you're not using that definition (I hope...).

How are you defining ln(x)?

ln x = e ^ some number. we just use a calculator. we made a list in class of these ones, but they are simple.

ln e^2=e
ln e^x=x

ln x = e ^ some number

No... it's the other way around

ln(e^x) = x

Note ln(e^2) = 2, not e.

Anyway, the definition of natural log is ln(e^x) = x (well, the definition you should be working from)

popsquare said:
Thanks for the help.

The natural log has a base of e, so if you raise e^ln(x), it will always just equal x.

[tex]e^{ln_{e}(x)} = x[/tex]

Last edited:
its for the same reason the father of the man whose father is john, is ...?

popsquare said:
Thanks for the help.

If f(x) is a bijection (i.e, an onto, 1-to-1 function), then there will exists another function g(x), such that: g(f(x)) = x, and f(g(x)) = x, we denote that function g(x) by f-1(x), and call it the inverse of f(x) (i.e a function which does the reverse of f(x)).
Say, if we have: f(a) = b, then we'll have g(b) = a. So we have: g(f(a)) = g(b) = a, and f(g(b)) = f(a) = b.

ex has the inverse ln(x) (i.e, we define ln(x) to be the inverse of ex). So, if f(x) = ex, then f-1(x) = ln(x).
So, we have: [tex]f(f ^ {-1} (x)) = e ^ {f ^ {-1} (x)} = e ^ {ln (x)} = x[/tex], as f(f-1(x)) = x
And [tex]f ^ {-1} (f(x)) = \ln(f(x)) = \ln (e ^ x) = x[/tex], as f-1(f(x)) = x

perhaps it is better to first understand what a log is. A log is an exponent. [tex]log_2{8}[/tex] means the exponent on 2 to get 8. (3)

ln means log base e. So, ln(x) means "what is the exponent on e to get a value of x?" example ln(5) means "what is the exponent on e to get a value of 5?" In other words, e^? = 5.

So, when you raise e^[ln(x)], that means e to the power: [the power on e to get x].

So, e^[ln(5)] means raise e^(power that when e is raised to that power, the result is 5.)

popsquare said:
Thanks for the help.

I just had to explain this to my calculus class.

We know that e^(ln x) must be some number, call it q. So e^(ln x) = q.
If we take the natural logarithm of both side of the equation we have
ln (e^(ln x)) = ln q.

Hopefully, we are convinced that ln (e^a) = a by the laws of logarithms. If not, here it is quickly.
ln (e^a) = a ln e = a*1 = a

So ln (e^(ln x)) = ln x.

Thus we have ln x = ln q, which might convince you that q = x.

If not, we continue
ln x - ln q = 0, so ln (x/q) = 0. Then, by the definition of logarithm (as an inverse function), x/q = e^0 = 1, So x = q.

Putting this back in the original equation, we have e^(ln x) = q = x.
(We must include the caveat that x > 0).

How, then, have you defined ln(x) in your class?

HallsofIvy said:
How, then, have you defined ln(x) in your class?

I see your point. If ln x = a means e^a = x, then clearly, by substituting a into the second equation we get the result e^(ln x) = x.

However, some students need a bit more convincing that the "complicated" formula e^(ln x) = x is right. They accept the definition, in principle, but do not always see connection to the results. By bringing it down to the situation where ln(x/q) = 0, they were then able to make the connection that x/q=1.

BTW, as stated in my post, I use the inverse function definition of the natural logarithm. Sorry for the confusion.

This might seem a little silly but it really seems to work. When a student says that they can't understand why e^(ln x) = x is correct this is what I sometimes do. I say that I will explain it to them, but first they must explain something to me.

I then tell them that I've just encounter [tex]\sqrt{\cdot}[/tex] for the first time and I don't understand it (they know I'm joking) and that they must explain to me why it is that for any positive number "x" that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = x[/tex].

It's quite interesting just how often in that in the process of explaining this (or thinking up an explanation) that they suddenly claim to now understand the e^(ln x) thing. I guess it's just a matter of putting it into a 1-1 relation with a problem that they already understand.

Last edited:

1. What are some real-life applications of intermediate algebra?

Intermediate algebra is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve real-world problems. It is also essential in everyday tasks like budgeting, measuring ingredients in a recipe, and calculating discounts.

2. What is the difference between intermediate algebra and basic algebra?

Intermediate algebra builds upon the concepts learned in basic algebra and introduces more advanced topics such as quadratic equations, logarithms, and complex numbers. It also emphasizes problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. How can I improve my understanding of natural logarithms?

To improve your understanding of natural logarithms, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the properties of logarithms. You can also use online resources, attend tutoring sessions, or join a study group to get additional help.

4. How is intermediate algebra relevant to other branches of mathematics?

Intermediate algebra is the foundation for higher-level math courses, such as calculus and linear algebra. It also helps in understanding and solving mathematical problems in various fields, including science, finance, and computer science.

5. Are there any tips for effectively studying intermediate algebra?

Some tips for studying intermediate algebra include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to review previously learned concepts and seek out additional resources to supplement your learning.