Football player kinematics in one dimension

In summary, the football player's initial acceleration was 1.1 m/sec^2 and it was constant during the 3-5 sec period.
ladolce

Homework Statement

A football player, starting from rest at the line of scrimmage, accelerates along a straight line for a time of 3 seconds. Then during a negligible amount of time, he changes the magnitude of his acceleration to a value of 1.1 m/secondssquared. With this acceleration, he continues in the same direction for another 2 seconds until he reaches a speed of 6.4 m/sec. What's the value of his acceleration (assumed to be constant) during the initial 3 sec period?

Homework Equations

kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a graph but to no avail. How would I do it with just equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to pick out an equation to use first. As you are given times, velocities and accelerations - something relating the three of those could be handy. Can you find one?

v=vinital+at
but i don't understand what 1.1 m/s sqrd is for...is that the acceleration during the 3sec-5sec time period? i don't know what to plug in

Good equation choice and yes, that's what the 1.1m/sec^2 is. So first concentrate on the 3-5 sec period. You know the final velocity (at 5 sec) and you know the acceleration. Can you determine the velocity at 3 sec? BTW write the equation as v=vinitial+a*(t-tinitial) where tinitial is 3 sec for this time period.

Last edited:
Ok, so I got that stuff plugged in but the acceleration isn't there...what would that be?

Ohhh ok, so 1.1 is the magnitude of the acceleration so that means it IS the acceleration from 3-5 seconds right?

Right. You may find it easier to work with your equation in the form (change of v)=a*(change of t).

Ok, so i got 1.4 m/s^2 but i don't know if that's the right answer? can anyone do it and see what they get/help me? =)

Yes, that's right.

Yay, thank you so much for your help =)

1. What is meant by "football player kinematics in one dimension"?

"Football player kinematics in one dimension" refers to the study of the motion of a football player in a straight line. This includes analyzing their position, velocity, and acceleration as they move on the field.

2. Why is it important to study football player kinematics in one dimension?

Studying football player kinematics in one dimension can provide insights into an athlete's performance, such as their speed and agility. It can also help coaches and trainers identify areas for improvement and develop training programs to enhance a player's overall performance on the field.

3. What factors can affect a football player's kinematics in one dimension?

There are several factors that can affect a football player's kinematics in one dimension, including their physical abilities (such as strength and flexibility), technique, and external factors such as weather and field conditions.

4. How can technology be used to study football player kinematics in one dimension?

Technology, such as motion capture systems and wearable sensors, can be used to track and analyze a football player's movements in one dimension. This data can then be used to calculate their position, velocity, and acceleration, providing valuable insights into their performance.

5. What are some potential applications of studying football player kinematics in one dimension?

Studying football player kinematics in one dimension can have various applications, including player development and training, injury prevention, and performance analysis in games and practices. It can also be used to compare and evaluate different training methods and strategies for improving a player's performance.