Understanding Bridge Rectifiers: A Guide to AC Theory and Function

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the conversation discusses the functioning of a rectifier bridge and the misconception of a possible short circuit due to the presence of two possible paths for the current to flow. The explanation is given that only one pair of diodes conducts at a time, with the different colors representing conduction on either the positive or negative half of the waveform. The clarification that only one pair of diodes works at a time and the removal of a reverse biased diode is suggested to better understand the concept.
prasannapakkiam
http://www.play-hookey.com/ac_theory/images/rectifier_bridge.gif

When I see this, I remember that my teacher never explained this clearlly to me. As I see it (follow the Blue Current), when the current returns to the negative (temperorary) terminal, there can be 2 possible paths. It can take the top blue one OR the Bottom Red one. Should there not be a short circuit?

I would like it if someone clarified this for me...

Physics news on Phys.org
But only one pair of diodes are conducting at any given time. The different colors represent conduction on either the positive or negative half of the waveform. Therefore when blue is conduction, red is reversed biased (open circuit).

Maybe an alternate schematic will clear things up:
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/03266.png

try removing the reverse biased diode and make two saperate circuits showing one pair of diodes working(forward bias) at a time. you ll notice current is still flowing in the same direction

Thanks for point out the reverse bias bit. That clarified my doubts...

1. What is a bridge rectifier?

A bridge rectifier is an electronic device that is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It consists of four diodes arranged in a specific configuration to allow current to flow in only one direction.

2. How does a bridge rectifier work?

A bridge rectifier works by using its four diodes to convert the AC input into a pulsating DC output. During the positive half cycle of the AC input, two diodes conduct and allow current to flow through, while the other two diodes remain non-conducting. During the negative half cycle, the two conducting diodes switch roles, resulting in a unidirectional flow of current.

3. What is the purpose of using a bridge rectifier?

The main purpose of using a bridge rectifier is to convert AC power to DC power. This is necessary because many electronic devices and circuit components require DC power to operate properly. By converting AC to DC, the bridge rectifier allows for a more stable and reliable power source for these devices.

4. What are some common applications of bridge rectifiers?

Bridge rectifiers are commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and radios. They are also used in battery chargers, motor speed controllers, and other electronic circuits that require DC power.

5. What are the advantages of using a bridge rectifier?

One major advantage of using a bridge rectifier is its simplicity and low cost. It is also more efficient than other types of rectifiers, as it uses all four diodes in the circuit to convert AC to DC. Additionally, bridge rectifiers have a higher output voltage and can handle larger currents, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.