K.p theory model & Heavy-hole effective masses in strained QWs

In summary: Try a few different ways and see which one gives you the best wave functions. In summary, Guobin Liu's article et. al. gives a good description of the method and the references provide more detail.
paula1980
Hi Everyone, :smile:

I am new to the Physics Forums. I have a question regarding k.p theory.

I am keen to design band-diagram, wave-functions of a strained MQW structure. I understand that in strained QWs, Heavy-Hole (and probably light-hole also) effective mass decreases significantly with strain, which consequently affects the subband states in the Hole QW.

Couple of questions I have regarding this are as follows:

1) Does anyone has a model on Mathcad or Mathematica which calculates this? If not can anyone suggest a paper which provides simplified details of how to write the code for this. Unfortunately I am very new to designing field with limited experience in writing code.

2) How can one calculate the strained Heavy and light hole effective masses?

Thanks a million for your help!

Paul M. :smile:
ps: I put this message also in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section as I wasnt sure where my question was best to ask...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly what you're looking for, but may have some useful references: http://www.sst.nrel.gov/images/MRS98-ES%20of%20Quantum%20Dots.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Try getting the book, Physics of Optoelectronic Devices by S L Chuang. THe first couple of chapters will provide much of what you are looking for, maybe not the code, but you cna figure it out from there.

Hello,

I also try to dealing with 8-band k.p method for bandstructure calculations. First of all, for simple case I am just working on only 2 bands to determine the valance bandstructure of quantum well (from Shun Lien CHuang's book: Physics of Optoelectronic devices at page 182). I met a difficulty from solving the coupled differential equation generated from this 2-band k.p model as following link:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/ajou0611/EigSys.jpg?t=1191804568

Could you help me to solve this equation by Finite difference method?

Thanks in advance,

Khai

Last edited:
Finite difference wil help. It will be a bear to get good solutions easily. Look at the references on page 184 an d you should be able to get there.

Thanks you for your rapid response !

I was now successful in dealing with 2-band k.p model following the reference at page 184 of S. L. Chuang's book. However, in case of 8-band k.p model in Guobin Liu's article et. al Phys. Rev. B 65, 165220 my code generated some spurious solutions. I couldn't get the wave functions as in the paper. I am wondering how can we rearrange the bands? Should we arrange the band alternatively (Psi11,Psi21,...,Psi81,...,Psi1i,Psi2i,...,Psi8i...Psi1N,Psi2N,...,Psi8N) or successively (Psi11,Psi12,...,Psi1N,Psi21,Psi22,...,Psi2N,...,Psi81,Psi82,...,Psi8N)?

Best wishes,

Khai

Last edited:
Spurious bands are a trademark of inverting k.p matricies. There are plenty of solutions out there to eliminate them.

1. What is the K.p theory model?

The K.p theory model is a mathematical framework used to describe the electronic properties of semiconductors. It takes into account the influence of both band structure and crystal symmetry on the behavior of electrons in a material.

2. How is the K.p theory model used in strained quantum wells (QWs)?

In strained QWs, the crystal lattice is distorted, causing changes in the electronic band structure. The K.p theory model is used to describe these changes and predict the electronic properties of the strained QWs.

3. What are heavy-hole effective masses?

Heavy-hole effective masses are a measure of the effective mass of an electron in a semiconductor. They take into account the influence of the crystal lattice on the electron's motion, and are important in determining the electronic properties of a material.

4. How are heavy-hole effective masses calculated in strained QWs?

In strained QWs, the heavy-hole effective masses are calculated using the K.p theory model. This model takes into account the changes in the crystal lattice and predicts the effective masses of the electrons in the QW.

5. What is the significance of heavy-hole effective masses in strained QWs?

Heavy-hole effective masses play a crucial role in determining the electronic properties of strained QWs. They affect the energy levels and transport properties of the electrons in the QW, and are important in the design and optimization of semiconductor devices such as transistors and lasers.