Proving B_{r} is Open: Multivariable Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the open set B_{r} ((x_{0}, y_{0})) = {(x,y) : || (x,y) - (x_{0}, y_{0})|| < r} in R. The focus is on proving that all points in the set are interior points and do not belong to the boundary. The conversation suggests using the triangle inequality and drawing a picture to help with the proof. A hint is given to show that a neighborhood of a point x in the set is also contained in the set.
bobsmiters
I have no luck with proofs...

Prove that B[tex]_{r}[/tex] ((x[tex]_{0}[/tex], y[tex]_{0}[/tex])) = {(x,y) : || (x,y) - (x[tex]_{0}[/tex], y[tex]_{0}[/tex])|| < r} is an open set in R.

Now I know that to be an open set if and only if each of its points is an interior point and if it contains no boundary points. I would consider trying to prove it for any (a,b) [tex]\in[/tex] B[tex]_{r}[/tex]

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmiters said:
I have no luck with proofs...

Prove that B[tex]_{r}[/tex] ((x[tex]_{0}[/tex], y[tex]_{0}[/tex])) = {(x,y) : || (x,y) - (x[tex]_{0}[/tex], y[tex]_{0}[/tex])|| < r} is an open set in R.

Now I know that to be an open set if and only if each of its points is an interior point and if it contains no boundary points. I would consider trying to prove it for any (a,b) [tex]\in[/tex] B[tex]_{r}[/tex]
You don't need to prove both of those. If all points are interior points, then none of them can be boundary points. Standard proofs that a given set are open show that every point is an interior point.

You are starting correctly. let (a,b) be some point in Br. Then its distance from (x0,y0) is strictly less than r. You need to show that there exist some neighborhood of (a,b) consisting entirely of points that are in Br: that is, that their distance from (x0,y0) is also strictly less than r.

It might be a good idea to draw a picture: Br is, of course, the disk inside the circle around (x0,y0) of radius r. Hint: the triangle inequality is very helpful here!

By the way, I know a professor who says that it was being able to do precisely this proof as an undergraduate that convinced him he could be a mathematician!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let [tex]x\in B(a,r)[/tex]. Then let [tex]\epsilon = r - |x-a|[/tex]. Show that [tex]B(x,\epsilon) \subset B(a,r)[/tex]. To show this you need to show given any [tex]y\in B(x,\epsilon)\implies y\in B(a,r)[/tex].

1. What is the definition of an open set?

An open set is a set in which every point has a neighborhood that is entirely contained within the set.

2. How do you prove that a set is open?

To prove that a set is open, you must show that for every point in the set, there exists a neighborhood around that point that is entirely contained within the set.

3. What is the definition of the ball of radius r around a point?

The ball of radius r around a point is the set of all points that are within a distance of r from the given point.

4. How do you prove that a set is a ball of radius r around a point?

To prove that a set is a ball of radius r around a point, you must show that every point in the set is within a distance of r from the given point.

5. What is the definition of the open ball of radius r around a point?

The open ball of radius r around a point is the set of all points that are within a distance of r from the given point, excluding the point itself.