QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, there is a debate about whether the delay observed in a single incident by the MAGIC collaboration is real or just a random occurrence. Many are skeptical and believe that more evidence is needed before confirming its validity. The delay could be affected by voids in the large scale structure but further observations are needed. The GLAST launch in February 2008 may provide more information on this topic.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Will this muddy QG light time arrivals?

Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Will this muddy QG light time arrivals?

Wolram, your intuition seems correct to me. the large scale structure has these big voids in it and that should influence travel time, not necessarily in any way dependent on energy however

I should admit that after the MAGIC collaboration reported that ONE incident where they had observed a delay that depended on ENERGY there was a strong skeptical reaction on the part of a lot of people---on blogs and I imagine elsewhere too.
A lot of people are taking the position that they are going to have to see quite a number of gammaray flares analyzed, and the same energy-dependent delay found in each one, before they will believe it's real.

I can sympathise with this. So for now I will try carefully not to suggest that the delay is real---it could be just a random thing in the data or some effect at the source.

I would expect that the swiss cheese will not interfere too much because the whole flare or the whole burst would be affected by voids equally if at all---low and high energy alike.

but the whole thing will just have to be forgotten if it is not repeatedly observed.
GLAST should help. It has been delayed so often that I dread further delays---but barring such troubles it is scheduled to be launched February 2008.
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

Last edited:

1. What is the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect?

The QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect refers to a phenomenon in quantum gravity where the arrival time of light signals is affected by the presence of spacetime fluctuations resembling holes in Swiss cheese.

2. How does the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect occur?

The QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect occurs due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with absolute precision. This leads to fluctuations in the fabric of spacetime, causing the arrival time of light signals to be affected.

3. What are the implications of the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect?

The QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect has implications for our understanding of the nature of space and time. It suggests that spacetime is not a smooth and continuous fabric, but rather a fluctuating and probabilistic entity. This has implications for theories of quantum gravity and could potentially impact our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level.

4. Can the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect be observed?

Currently, the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect has not been directly observed. However, there have been attempts to detect its effects using precision measurements of the arrival times of light signals. Further research and advancements in technology may eventually allow for its direct observation.

5. How does the QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect relate to other theories in physics?

The QG Light Time Arrivals & Swiss Cheese Effect is a topic of interest in the field of quantum gravity, which seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also has connections to other areas of physics such as quantum field theory and cosmology, and further research in this area could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.