Initial Velocity of a kicked rock

In summary: Put it in a formula and solve for t. t=\sqrt{(Vo^2+Vyt^2)/(gt^2)} Vo= 328.3 m/sVyt= -28 m/st= -5.815s
Claymore

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 40.0-m-high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.00s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

Homework Equations

Well to start off I have a graph which I don't know how to put it in here. To get things started I am currently taking General Physics and it seems a bit confusing than I thought.

Teacher gave us this:

r= x= ro + Vox t
y= Yo + Voy t + (gt^2)/2

v= Vfx= Vox
Vfy= Voy + gt

Im not sure if there's more to this ^

To my understanding where r= displacement if I am correct, and v is velocity(speed)

it seems that i plug in numbers and calculate them but I am having problem understanding the letters what they represent so i can't get to my solution or explain that, that's my solution. It may sound confusing

The Attempt at a Solution

Height= 40m
a=g=9.8 m/s^2
speed of sound= 342m/s
Time=3s

r = r0 + Vot + (gt^2)/2
= 0 + 342 m/s *3.0s -4.9m/s^2 * 3.0s^2
= 984.9 m

so then I used:
x = x0 Voxt
984.9m = 0 + Vox * 3s
Vox= 328.3 m/s

and:
y= y0 + Voyt + (gt^2)/2
40m= 0 + Voy*3 + -4.9m/s^2 * 3.0s^2
Voy= -28m/s

and I am stuck :( any help on what/how to get intial Velocity. Thanks in advance

Im new to forums as well :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm finding it difficult to follow your solution... First step... what is the distance between the place where the soccer ball fell and where the soccer player is... hint: use the speed of sound.

well that's the thing how would i find the distance? oh and by the way its a rock (ball) :P

Claymore said:
well that's the thing how would i find the distance? oh and by the way its a rock (ball) :P

lol, why is he kicking a rock? hint: they give the speed of sound... they give the time it takes to hear the sound... what distance does the sound travel?

Last edited:
so speed of sound x time = distance?

343m/s * 3s = 1029 m

correct me if I am wrong :(

Claymore said:
so speed of sound x time = distance?

343m/s * 3s = 1029 m

correct me if I am wrong :(

That is correct. Now how do you think you can find the horizontal distance?

Kurdt said:
That is correct. Now how do you think you can find the horizontal distance?

put it in Triangle :p

so 40m^2 Height x Hd^2 = 1029^2

Hd^2 = 1029^ + 1600

Hd= 32 m

correct?

No that's not correct. Remember that the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is given by [itex] a^2 = b^2 + c^2 [/itex]. That means you need to subtract the vertical height squared from the hypotenuse squared and square root it. Thats a horrible sentence so I'll write it in formula.

[tex] b = \sqrt{a^2 - c^2} [/tex]

Next in the problem you'll have to find the time of flight of the rock. How do you think you would find that?

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as launch velocity or starting velocity, is the velocity at which an object begins to move. It is the speed and direction at which the object is launched or kicked.

2. How is initial velocity measured?

Initial velocity can be measured using a variety of techniques, depending on the situation. For example, if the object is being kicked on a flat surface, the initial velocity can be calculated by measuring the distance the object traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Other methods include using motion sensors, video analysis, or measuring the force of the kick.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of a kicked rock?

The initial velocity of a kicked rock can be affected by several factors, including the force of the kick, the angle at which the kick is delivered, the mass of the rock, and the surface on which it is kicked. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

4. How does initial velocity impact the motion of a kicked rock?

The initial velocity of a kicked rock determines the speed and direction at which it will move. If the initial velocity is high, the rock will travel further and faster, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and slower trajectory. The direction of the initial velocity also determines the direction of the rock's motion.

5. Can the initial velocity of a kicked rock be changed?

Yes, the initial velocity of a kicked rock can be changed by altering the force or angle of the kick, or by changing the surface on which it is kicked. Other factors, such as air resistance, can also affect the initial velocity. Additionally, if the rock bounces off of another object or surface, its initial velocity may change as a result of the collision.