Airplane Flying: Finding Direction & Ground Speed

In summary, an airplane flying toward the Southeast at a speed of 200 m/s is facing a wind blowing toward the Northeast at a speed of 60 m/s. To determine the plane's heading and ground speed, a coordinate system can be set up and the vectors drawn in the proper directions. Using the pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions, the plane's ground speed and heading can be calculated.
pebbles

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying toward the Southeast with a speed of 200 m/s, and the wind is blowing toward the Northeast with a speed of 60 m/s.
A. Which direction will the plane head now?
B. What is the groud speed of the plane?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the ground speed was determined by the vector of the wind and the plane, but I can't figure out how to find the direction... I thought about taking the arctan of the two values I was given, but I didn't think that would work because I did not know which should be the x and y values, and they are going different directions. Can anyone explain to me how to set this problem up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you've mentioned x and y values, I'd suggest setting up a coordinate system on your piece of paper (most people use top edge for North, left side for West, etc.) Then draw each vector in the proper direction. Now, if you make each vector a right triangle, it should be apparent which is the x and which is the y component (or components of E,W,N,and/or S)

hm..I'm still confused. I keep staring at the problem!

:S

here's what i drew on my paper:
planeandwind.jpg

Last edited:
Connect the tail of your wind vector with the tip of your plane vector. This will make a right angle triangle. Now, you can use the pythagorean theorem, and come up with the resultant vector (hypotenuse) which will be the plane's ground speed. You can then find the angle of the plane's heading, by placing theta between the tail of your resultant vector and the tail of your wind vector, and using SOH CAH TOA to solve for your angle.

What is the purpose of finding direction and ground speed while flying an airplane?

The purpose of finding direction and ground speed while flying an airplane is to determine the most efficient route to reach the intended destination, as well as to estimate the arrival time and fuel consumption.

What tools or instruments are used to determine direction and ground speed during a flight?

The most commonly used tools for determining direction and ground speed during a flight are the magnetic compass, GPS (Global Positioning System), and the aircraft's airspeed indicator. Pilots may also use visual references and radio navigation aids.

How do pilots account for wind when calculating ground speed?

Pilots use a method called "wind correction" to account for wind when calculating ground speed. This involves adjusting the heading of the aircraft to compensate for the direction and speed of the wind, in order to maintain the desired course and ground speed.

Can direction and ground speed change during a flight?

Yes, direction and ground speed can change during a flight due to various factors such as wind patterns, altitude changes, and air traffic control instructions. Pilots continuously monitor these changes and adjust their heading and speed accordingly.

Why is it important for pilots to constantly monitor direction and ground speed while flying?

Constantly monitoring direction and ground speed is crucial for the safety and efficiency of a flight. It allows pilots to maintain the desired course, avoid potential hazards, and make necessary adjustments to reach the destination in a timely and fuel-efficient manner.