InfraRed Transmitter -> Receiver

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of an IR photodiode and an IR emitter for a project involving RS-232 communication. The speaker was looking for resources to better understand the technology, including browsing application notes from manufacturers and researching IR remote control subtleties on Wikipedia. The speaker also mentioned potential SNR issues when using baseband IR coupling for RS-232 signals.
N468989
Im working on a project and i would like know where i can find an ebook or site that could help me understand this technology. I will use an IR photodiode (Rx) and an IR emitter (Tx). the signal being sent will originate from a RS-232.

So basically i have RS-232 <-> IR <-> RS-232, and so i need to understand the properties of this communication medium.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To understand the basic current transfer ratios of IR links, you can browse the application notes at the manufacturers of the IR emitter and detector components (I would start with HP and Motorola).

To understand IR remote control subtleties, I'd start at wikipedia.org.

Unless you are going to use 1mm fiber (or similar) to confine the IR signal, you are going to deal with the same SNR issues that IR remote controls have to deal with. And dealing with those issues will push you away from baseband IR coupling of the RS-232 signals, IMO.

There are many resources available online that can help you understand the technology of IR transmitters and receivers. One good place to start would be to search for "IR transmitter receiver tutorial" or "IR transmitter receiver basics" on a search engine. This will bring up various websites, videos, and ebooks that cover the basics of IR communication.

You can also check out electronics forums and communities where people discuss projects and share their knowledge and experiences with different technologies. These forums can be a great place to ask questions and get advice from experienced individuals.

Additionally, many electronics manufacturers and suppliers have resources such as datasheets, application notes, and technical guides available on their websites that provide detailed information on IR transmitters and receivers.

Overall, with some research and a bit of experimentation, you should be able to gain a good understanding of the properties and capabilities of IR communication for your project. Good luck!

1. What is an InfraRed transmitter?

An InfraRed transmitter is a device that uses infrared radiation to transmit data or signals wirelessly from one device to another. It emits infrared light waves that are invisible to the human eye but can be detected by an infrared receiver.

2. How does an InfraRed transmitter work?

An InfraRed transmitter works by converting electrical signals into infrared light waves. These light waves are then transmitted through the air to an infrared receiver. The receiver then converts the light waves back into electrical signals, which can be interpreted by a device such as a television or remote control.

3. What is the range of an InfraRed transmitter?

The range of an InfraRed transmitter can vary depending on the strength of the transmitter and any obstacles in the way. On average, a typical InfraRed transmitter can transmit signals up to 30 feet.

4. What are the advantages of using an InfraRed transmitter?

One of the main advantages of using an InfraRed transmitter is that it does not require a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. It can also be used for short-range communication without interfering with other wireless signals.

5. What are the applications of InfraRed transmitters?

InfraRed transmitters have various applications, including remote controls for televisions and other electronic devices, wireless keyboards and mice, and data transmission in devices such as smartphones and laptops. They are also used in security systems, motion sensors, and virtual reality devices.