Looking for help with equilibrium physics

In summary, the system shown in the given situation is in equilibrium with a mass of 4.50 kg. The spring scale, calibrated in Newtons, will read the tension in the string where it is attached. The tension force will be exerted on each end of the scale, but they do not add. This means that the force on one mass is the tension exerted by two masses pulling each other. A diagram is helpful in understanding this concept. Since everything is in equilibrium, the tension in the cable must be equal.
shiri
The system shown below are in equilibrium with m = 4.50 kg. If the spring scale is calibrated in Newtons, what does it read? (Ignore the masses of the pulleys and strings, and assume the incline is frictionless.)

There is a picture on this question but the best thing I can do is to describe it for you.
There are two equal masses on each side of the table supporting by its' pulleys. Each mass is attached to each end of the spring scale.

I'm kind of lost on this question. Does the two objects pull the spring scale in both directions, left and right, creating a force of 88.29N (F=2*ma=2*(4.50kg*9.81m/s^2))? Can anyone help me out on this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a clear picture of the entire setup, nonetheless...

The spring scale will read the tension in the string where it's attached. A force equal to that tension will be exerted on each end of the scale, but they don't add.

Doc Al said:
I don't have a clear picture of the entire setup, nonetheless...

The spring scale will read the tension in the string where it's attached. A force equal to that tension will be exerted on each end of the scale, but they don't add.

Does this mean the force on one mass is really the tension exerted by two masses pulling each other?

shiri said:
Does this mean the force on one mass is really the tension exerted by two masses pulling each other?
I don't quite understand your question. If a mass is attached to a rope, one of the forces on the mass will be the tension force exerted by the rope. If that rope attaches to both masses, then it exerts the tension force on each.

If possible, can you scan in a diagram?

Is the table horizontal? Is there an incline involved?

Doc Al said:
I don't quite understand your question. If a mass is attached to a rope, one of the forces on the mass will be the tension force exerted by the rope. If that rope attaches to both masses, then it exerts the tension force on each.

If possible, can you scan in a diagram?

Is the table horizontal? Is there an incline involved?

yeah...here's the diagram

Attachments

• p4-22alt2.jpg
    p4-22alt2.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,110
Cool. A diagram is very helpful.

As I had said, the scale will read the tension in the cable. And since everything is in equilibrium, what must that tension equal?

Doc Al said:
Cool. A diagram is very helpful.

As I had said, the scale will read the tension in the cable. And since everything is in equilibrium, what must that tension equal?

thanks Doc Al, now I know the answer for this question

1. What is equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object having no acceleration and remaining at rest or moving with constant velocity. This can also be known as a state of balance.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium in physics?

To calculate equilibrium in physics, you must first determine all the forces acting on an object. Then, you can use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to determine if the forces are balanced or unbalanced. If the forces are balanced, the object is in equilibrium.

3. What are the two types of equilibrium in physics?

The two types of equilibrium in physics are static equilibrium and dynamic equilibrium. Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium in physics?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium in physics include a book sitting on a table (static equilibrium), a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road (dynamic equilibrium), and a balloon floating in the air (gravitational and air resistance forces are balanced).

5. How does understanding equilibrium in physics apply to other areas of science?

Understanding equilibrium in physics is crucial in many other areas of science, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. In chemistry, equilibrium is important in understanding chemical reactions and how they reach a state of balance. In biology, equilibrium is essential for maintaining homeostasis in the body. In engineering, equilibrium is used to design structures and machines that can withstand and distribute forces in a balanced manner.