Amusement park ride physics problem

• Thread starter grouchy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating circular platform with suspended seats, where the chains make an angle of 38.1 degrees with the vertical. The speed of each seat is calculated using the equation v = sqrt(g*r*tan(theta)), with a resulting speed of 6.733251157 m/s. The second part of the problem involves finding the tension in the chain for a child with mass 52.1 kg sitting in a seat, which is solved using the equation T = mg/cos(theta), resulting in a tension of 773.3548298 N.
grouchy

Homework Statement

a amusement park ride consists of a rotating circular platform 11.8 m in diameter from which 10 kg seats are suspended at the end of 1.18 m massless chains. When the system rotates, the chains make an angle of 38.1 degrees with the vertical. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

What is the speed of each seat? Answer in units of m/s.

http://geocities.com/grouchy187/figure.bmp

Homework Equations

F = ma ; F = mv^2/r ?

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to make a free-body diagram to find F and then I plugged it into the above equation and got 7.57582 m/s but that was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show your work?

I erased my old work but I did the following this time. Only thing is I want to double check with someone else to see if it makes sense before I try submitting it (only get a certain amount of chances and each one is less credit)

I did this but again I ain't sure if its done right... Horizontal force equals mg tan of angle. This is balanced with centripetal force so mv^2/r = mg tan (angle).

So v = sqrt of (g*r*tan (angle))
v = 6.733251157 m/s (don't need sig. figures)

So does this look right to anyone else? Thx.

grouchy said:
Horizontal force equals mg tan of angle. This is balanced with centripetal force so mv^2/r = mg tan (angle).
OK. But horizontal force isn't balanced with centripetal force, it is the centripetal force.

So v = sqrt of (g*r*tan (angle))
v = 6.733251157 m/s (don't need sig. figures)
What did you use for r?

I used 5.9 for r since the diameter was given as 11.8

grouchy said:
I used 5.9 for r since the diameter was given as 11.8
That's the radius of the circular platform. You need the radius of the circular path swept out by the seats. How far is each seat from the axis?

OH! ok, so it would be 1.18 sin (theta) + 11.8/2 = 6.6281. And I got 7.1365 m/s as my speed which was correct. THX!

If you could help with the second part that would be great. it asks...

" If a child of mass 52.1kg sits in a seat, what is the tension in the chain (for the same angle)? Answer in units of N."

I tried ...

Fx = T - mg cos (theta)
T = mg cos (theta)
T = 478.9129157

but that was wrong... also tried

Fx = T - mg sin (theta)
T = mg sin (theta)
T = 375.5156929 but this was wrong too..

Last edited:
grouchy said:
I tried ...

Fx = T - mg cos (theta)
Rethink this. The tension acts at an angle and the weight acts down.

You might want to consider the vertical forces.

humm...if I do it with the vertical forces

Fy = T cos (theta) - mg = 0
T cos (theta) = mg
T = mg /cos (theta)
T = 62.1(9.8)/ cos (38.1)
T = 773.3548298 N

kinda reluctant to try this since each attempt is less points but would that be it?

If you're not sure, figure it out using horizontal forces and compare. :wink:

Got it! Thx for all the help! Might be back later with another one lol

What is the purpose of studying amusement park ride physics?

The purpose of studying amusement park ride physics is to understand the principles of motion, forces, and energy involved in the design and operation of amusement park rides. This knowledge is crucial for ensuring the safety and comfort of riders.

How do different types of amusement park rides use physics?

Different types of amusement park rides use physics in various ways. Roller coasters, for example, use potential and kinetic energy to create thrilling drops and turns. Ferris wheels use centripetal force to keep the cars rotating at a constant speed. Swings use the principles of pendulum motion to create a back-and-forth swinging motion.

What factors affect the speed and acceleration of an amusement park ride?

The speed and acceleration of an amusement park ride are affected by several factors, including the angle and length of the track, the weight and distribution of the riders, and the forces applied by the ride itself. Friction and air resistance also play a role in determining the ride's speed and acceleration.

What safety measures are in place to ensure the safety of riders on amusement park rides?

Amusement park rides undergo rigorous safety inspections and testing before they are open to the public. Engineers use computer simulations and physical models to predict and analyze the forces and stresses on the ride. Safety features such as seat belts, restraints, and emergency brakes are also implemented to prevent accidents.

How do amusement park rides minimize the impact of G-forces on riders?

Amusement park rides are designed with safety in mind, and this includes minimizing the impact of G-forces on riders. Engineers use techniques such as banking turns and gradual changes in direction to reduce the amount of G-forces experienced by riders. Additionally, safety restraints and seat designs are used to distribute and absorb the forces on the body.