Reverse Breakdown Voltage of a 1N4002 Diode

In summary, the diode has a normal IV characteristic when V1 is positive, but when V1 is negative, the diode has a reverse IV characteristic.
user101
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1953/51953732lu5.png [Broken]

In this case, is the reverse breakdown voltage at V = 0V since there is negative voltage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
seems rather bizarre that you can have 0V as breakdown voltage. perhaps the current is defined in the other direction, and so you should really flip the y-axis... and breakdown would be at -100V.. that's how I see it. look at the circuit itself (if there is one) and see what situations induce this graph

This has to be the oddest "diode" I've seen!

But according to the I-V curve, yes, reverse breakdown happens very close to 0V (typically you spec the voltage at a reverse current of 50muA).

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4204/partacircuitwh4.jpg [Broken]

That's my circuit config.

Instructions:

"Use Analysis/Setup to establish a DC linear sweep using default model parameters for -110V < V < + 10V in increments of 0.01V. Plot the I-V characteristic of the diode by using the Trace setup to add the diode current to the plot output. Be sure that the voltage axis is the voltage across only the diode, and not the diode plus resistor, which is usually the default voltage. From the plot, determine the reverse bias breakdown voltage."

according to your circuit diagram (and assuming stanard usage of symbols), when V1 is positive, the diode is FORWARD biased. so non-sensible to talk about reverse breakdown at all... you sure the ammeter is plugged in with the right polarities? -100V breakdown voltage make more sense... and more like a real diode too.

Hmm, you're right, I think the current marker is supposed to be BEFORE the diode. I get a more normal looking diode IV characteristic:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5097/picture2mh8.jpg [Broken]

yes, perhaps by putting the meter AFTER the diode, the computer takes it as measuring the current into that terminal and not out of and hence leading to the switch in polarity.

Yup, this is right. Phew!

The 1N4002 is a pretty standard 100V rectifier (breakdown near -100V).

What is reverse breakdown of a diode?

Reverse breakdown of a diode is a phenomenon that occurs when the voltage across a diode exceeds its maximum reverse voltage rating, causing a sudden and significant increase in current flow through the diode in the reverse direction.

What causes reverse breakdown of a diode?

Reverse breakdown of a diode is caused by the depletion region of the diode becoming very thin, allowing electrons to easily tunnel through the barrier and creating a high current flow in the reverse direction.

What are the effects of reverse breakdown on a diode?

The effects of reverse breakdown on a diode can include permanent damage to the diode, as well as creating a high reverse current that can affect the performance of other components in the circuit.

How can reverse breakdown be prevented?

To prevent reverse breakdown, it is important to select a diode with a reverse voltage rating that is higher than the maximum voltage expected in the circuit. Additionally, using a reverse bias resistor can help limit the current in the event of reverse breakdown.

What are some common applications of reverse breakdown in diodes?

Reverse breakdown is commonly used in zener diodes, which are designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region and maintain a constant voltage across the diode. It is also used in avalanche diodes for voltage regulation and in photodiodes for detecting light levels.