What is the Formula for Calculating Surface Area of z=x^{2}+2y in a Given Range?

In summary, surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface of an object occupies. It can be calculated using specific formulas depending on the shape of the object, and it is important in understanding the amount of material needed for various applications. The units used to measure surface area depend on the units used for length, and it can be applied in everyday life for tasks such as painting, wrapping, and cooking.
amolv06
I need to find the surface area of z=[tex]x^{2}+2y[/tex] where 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1 and 0[tex]\leq[/tex]y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. I figured it's like trying any other surface area problem, but I think I'm misunderstanding how to set up this problem. Here is what I tried:

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{1}_{0}\sqrt{2x+3}dydx = \frac{5\sqrt{5}}{3}-\sqrt{3}[/tex]

However, my textbook says the correct answer is (3/2) + (5/8)ln[5]. Any help on where I went wrong would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, never mind, I seem to have made a dumb mistake. I forgot to square my partial derivatives.

The formula for calculating surface area is not the same as finding the area under a curve, which is what you have done in your attempted solution. The formula for surface area of a surface z=f(x,y) in a given range is:

Surface Area = \iint_R \sqrt{1+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})^2+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y})^2} dA

where R is the region in the xy-plane defined by the given range, and dA is the differential area element.

In this case, the surface is z=x^2+2y, so we have:

\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2x and \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 2

Plugging these into the formula, we get:

Surface Area = \iint_R \sqrt{1+(2x)^2+2^2} dA

= \iint_R \sqrt{1+4x^2+4} dA

= \iint_R \sqrt{4x^2+5} dA

Now, we can evaluate this integral using the given range:

Surface Area = \int^{1}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}\sqrt{4x^2+5}dydx

= \int^{1}_{0} [\frac{1}{3}(4x^2+5)^{\frac{3}{2}}]^{1}_{0}dx

= \int^{1}_{0} [\frac{1}{3}(9+4x^2)]dx

= \frac{1}{3}[9x+\frac{4}{3}x^3]^{1}_{0}

= \frac{13}{9}

Therefore, the correct answer is (3/2) + (5/8)ln[5]. It seems like there may have been a mistake in your textbook or in the given solution.

1. What is surface area?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface of an object occupies. It is the sum of all the areas of the faces or surfaces of the object.

2. How is surface area calculated?

The formula for calculating surface area varies depending on the shape of the object. For example, the surface area of a cube can be calculated by finding the area of one face and multiplying it by six. The surface area of a sphere can be calculated using the formula 4πr², where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Why is surface area important?

Surface area is important because it helps us understand the amount of material needed to cover or coat an object. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as in construction, packaging, and manufacturing.

4. What units are used to measure surface area?

The units used to measure surface area depend on the units used to measure length of the object. For example, if the length is measured in centimeters, then the surface area will be measured in square centimeters. Common units for measuring surface area include square meters, square inches, and square feet.

5. How can surface area be applied in everyday life?

Surface area can be applied in everyday life in various ways. For example, it can help us determine the amount of paint needed to cover a wall, the amount of wrapping paper needed to wrap a gift, or the amount of flooring needed to cover a room. It is also used in cooking and baking, as recipes often specify the surface area of a baking dish or pan.