Physics or/and applied physics

In summary: The speaker plans to enroll in university for a course in physics and applied physics in about 3/4 of a year. 2) They are unsure if the course will be a mix of both disciplines or if they will have to choose between them. 3) They hope to pursue a masters degree and work in an industry. 4) They need advice on how to prepare for an exemption test that will determine if they are eligible to skip the first year of university. In summary, the speaker plans to pursue a course in physics and applied physics at university, with the goal of obtaining a masters degree and working in an industry. They also have questions about the course curriculum and how to prepare for an exemption test.
Oerg
Hy everyone,

i will be enrolling in university for a course in physics and applied physics in abut 3/4 of a year.

Is this course a mix between the 2? or must one choose between them.

I actually plan on doing applied physics and i aim for a masters. I hope to be working in an industry. Any advice for me? ;p

Also i will be doing an exemption test before U to see if the freshmen are eligibl for an exemption from Uiniversity first year. Mine was originally a 4 year course. But its a direct honours course. What do i need to rpepare for the exemption test??

Physics news on Phys.org
If the title is "physics and applied physics," I would expect it includes emphasis on both due to the use of the word "and" - but you really need to contact your university to find curriculum information, since we have absolutely no way of knowing details like that.

oh ok.. i thought there was a convention among the universities or something, thanks anyway. Really appreciate your help

Nope, the core topics covered for a degree tend to be similar because of accreditation, but that only holds up to a certain point. Things like test credit are *very* dependent on the university.

ohhhh. ok. Physics has always been an interest to me, i dun hope to pursue an academic career tho, so i guess i would have to see which areas of physics best interest me ha1

1. What is the difference between physics and applied physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a broad field that covers topics such as motion, electricity, and magnetism. Applied physics, on the other hand, is the application of physics principles to solve real-world problems. It involves using the knowledge and techniques of physics to design and develop new technologies.

2. What are some examples of applications of physics?

There are many applications of physics in our daily lives. Some examples include electronics, telecommunications, medical imaging, renewable energy technologies, and transportation. Physics also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials, such as superconductors and semiconductors.

3. What skills are required to study physics or applied physics?

Studying physics or applied physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, as many concepts and theories in these fields are expressed in mathematical equations. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also essential, as well as a curiosity for understanding the natural world.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in physics or applied physics?

A degree in physics or applied physics can lead to a variety of career paths. Some common job titles include physicist, engineer, research scientist, data analyst, and teacher. Physics graduates can also find opportunities in fields such as finance, consulting, and software development, where their analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued.

5. How does studying physics or applied physics benefit society?

The study of physics and applied physics has led to countless technological advancements that have greatly benefited society. From medical technologies that save lives to renewable energy sources that reduce our impact on the environment, physics plays a crucial role in improving our quality of life. Additionally, studying physics can also help us better understand the world around us and answer some of the most fundamental questions about our universe.