What Is the Minimum Speed an Arrow Must Have to Pass Through a Spinning Wheel?

In summary, to shoot a 17.0 cm long arrow through a wheel with eight spokes and a radius of 37.5 cm, spinning at 3.75 rev/s, without hitting any of the spokes, the arrow must have a minimum speed of approximately 40.819 m/s. This can be calculated by finding the angular velocity of the wheel, dividing the angle between the spokes by the angular velocity to find the time between spokes, and then using the formula for angular velocity (change in radian/change in time) to calculate the minimum speed of the arrow.
chaotixmonjuish
A wheel has eight spokes and a radius of 37.5 cm. It is mounted on a fixed axle and is spinning at 3.75 rev/s. You want to shoot a 17.0 cm long arrow through the wheel, parallel to this axle, without hitting any of the spokes. Assume that the arrow and the spokes are very thin and evenly spaced. What minimum speed must the arrow have?

I just riffled off a few random calculations right away:

radian between the spokes = .7853 radians
radial velocity = .033 rad/sec

I'm not sure what to do after that

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to find the angular velocity (rad/s), which is 3.75 rev/s * 2pi rad/rev. From the angular velocity and the angle between the spokes, one finds the time that the area is open for the arrow to traverse the plane of the wheel.

In order for the arrow to traverse, the full length of the arrow must pass the plane of the spokes in slightly less time than it takes the next spoke to reach the point where the initial spoke passes just before the tip of the arrow reaches the plane of the spokes.

So the angular velocity is 3.75*2pi or 23.5619 rad/s. I'm not sure what to do after that. Would i take the angle between and divide it by the angular velocity?

chaotixmonjuish said:
So the angular velocity is 3.75*2pi or 23.5619 rad/s. I'm not sure what to do after that. Would i take the angle between and divide it by the angular velocity?
Yes - that will give the time between spokes, and that is the time that the length of the arrow must traverse the plane of the wheel (spokes).

.7853/23.5619 = .007215 s

would i then use change in radian/change in time

.7853/.007215 to get omega (108.52)

then would i multiply that by the radius (108.52*.375) to get 40.819 m/s

1. What is a spinning wheel and arrow?

A spinning wheel and arrow is a tool used in probability and statistics to generate random outcomes. It consists of a wheel divided into sections and an arrow that is spun to determine which section the arrow will land on.

2. How does a spinning wheel and arrow work?

The spinning wheel and arrow work by assigning different probabilities to each section of the wheel. When the arrow is spun, it will land on one of the sections, and the outcome of the spin is determined by the probability associated with that section.

3. What is the purpose of using a spinning wheel and arrow?

The purpose of using a spinning wheel and arrow is to simulate random events and determine the likelihood of different outcomes. It is commonly used in games of chance, gambling, and statistical experiments.

4. Can a spinning wheel and arrow be biased?

Yes, a spinning wheel and arrow can be biased if the probabilities assigned to each section are not equal. This can happen if the wheel is not evenly divided, or if the arrow is not properly balanced, leading to certain outcomes being more likely than others.

5. Is a spinning wheel and arrow a reliable way to generate random outcomes?

While a spinning wheel and arrow can be a useful tool for generating random outcomes, it is not entirely reliable. Factors such as the design of the wheel and arrow, the force used to spin it, and external factors like air resistance can all affect the outcome and potentially introduce bias.