Galileo's Impact on European History: Catch Up on PF

• History
  • Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, there was a discussion on PF about the absence of a member who was up all night writing a history essay. The conversation turned to how each member is significant and loved, and the topic of Saturn's rings and smileys also came up. The conversation ended with a puzzle about which smiley was missing from the thread.
dontdisturbmycircles
Wooohooo, up all night writing a history essay on Galileo's impact on European history. :cool:. Anything interesting happen on PF lately? :tongue2:

Science news on Phys.org
ya, everyone was thinking about your absence.

Please don't misunderstand me to mean that I deem myself a significant member of PF.. I am just curious mmmkkaayy.

Each and everyone at PF is significant! :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

and we're always interested in significant figures. :wink:

I missed you DDMC! I like the new avatar!

Astronuc said:

:cry: That makes me feel so special!

Sourabh N said:
Every child is special. o:)

http://www.taarezameenpar.com/
Very nice!

One should not forget the child within. :smile:

Children who are loved grow up to be loving adults. o:)

Evo said:
I like the new avatar!
I'm guessing they are a part of the Saturnian ring system, which are circles (roughly) being disturbed by 'tiny' pieces of rock.

neutrino said:
I'm guessing they are a part of the Saturnian ring system, which are circles (roughly) being disturbed by 'tiny' pieces of rock.

:rofl:

Evo said:
I missed you DDMC! I like the new avatar!

:redface: Thanks and thanks! :P

hmm there is so much love in this thread.

neutrino said:

:approve: you guessed right.

Don't run off and worry us like that again. :grumpy:

dontdisturbmycircles said:
hmm there is so much love in this thread.
There are so much smilies also in this thread.:smile:

Sourabh N said:
There are so much smilies also in this thread.:smile:

:rolleyes: :rofl: :approve: :yuck: :cry: :cool: :confused: :zzz: :redface: :smile: :frown: :bugeye: :eek: :uhh: :shy: :grumpy: :!) :mad: :wink: o:) :tongue2: :devil: :biggrin: :blushing: :tongue:

So here's the puzzle: which smiley doesn't appear in this thread?

and the winner will get a hug from our beloved DDMC.

Doc Smiley.

Hey ddmc. Good to see ya!

1. Who was Galileo and what was his impact on European history?

Galileo Galilei was a 17th century Italian scientist and mathematician who made significant contributions to the fields of physics, astronomy, and mathematics. His most notable impact on European history was his support for the heliocentric model of the universe, which challenged the widely accepted geocentric model and sparked a scientific revolution.

2. What were Galileo's major accomplishments?

Galileo's major accomplishments include developing the telescope and using it to make groundbreaking observations of the moon, planets, and stars. He also made significant contributions to the fields of mechanics, optics, and mathematics, and his work laid the foundation for the development of modern physics.

3. How did Galileo's ideas challenge the Church and authority of the time?

Galileo's support for the heliocentric model of the universe directly contradicted the Church's teachings and challenged their authority over scientific knowledge. He was also accused of heresy and placed under house arrest for his beliefs, which further highlighted the conflict between science and religion at the time.

4. What was the significance of Galileo's trial and imprisonment?

Galileo's trial and imprisonment were significant in that they represented a clash between science and religion, and highlighted the power struggle between the Church and scientific thinkers during the 17th century. It also sparked debates and discussions about the role of science and its relationship with religion and authority.

5. How did Galileo's work influence future scientific advancements and our understanding of the universe?

Galileo's work laid the foundation for future scientific advancements, particularly in the field of physics. His observations and experiments paved the way for the development of modern astronomy and our understanding of the universe. His ideas also inspired other scientists to challenge established beliefs and push the boundaries of knowledge.