Help with Calculator Problem: cos of -0.175

• Thread starter starchild75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the value of cos(-0.175) is approximately 0.9848. To solve a calculator problem involving cosine, you will need to use the cosine function on your calculator and input the value you want to find the cosine of. The range of values for cosine is between -1 and 1 and some calculators have an "Exact/Approx" button to switch between displaying the exact value or an approximation. Cosine is related to other trigonometric functions through the unit circle, where the cosine of an angle is equal to the x-coordinate of the point where the angle intersects the unit circle.
starchild75

Homework Statement

I typed in cos of -0.175 and I got .999999 and the physics book says it's 100. help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
starchild75 said:

Homework Statement

I typed in cos of -0.175 and I got .999999 and the physics book says it's 100. help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cos() of anything is never going to be 100. It is always in the range of [-1,1]. You would have to scale it to reach 100, that is 100*cos()

i think this is enough for hint...

cos[-x]=cos x...

[tex] cos^{-1} (-0.175) = 100^0 [/tex]

1. What is the value of cos(-0.175)?

The value of cos(-0.175) is approximately 0.9848.

2. How do I solve a calculator problem involving cosine?

To solve a calculator problem involving cosine, you will need to use the cosine function on your calculator. This function is usually denoted by "cos" or "cosine" and is typically found in the trigonometry section of the calculator. Simply input the value you want to find the cosine of (in this case, -0.175) and press the "equals" button to get the result.

3. What is the range of values for cosine?

The range of values for cosine is between -1 and 1. This means that the value of cosine can never be less than -1 or greater than 1.

4. Can a calculator display the exact value of cos(-0.175) instead of an approximation?

Yes, some calculators have a "Exact/Approx" button that allows you to switch between displaying the exact value or an approximation. However, since -0.175 is an irrational number, the exact value of cos(-0.175) is also irrational and cannot be displayed in decimal form.

5. How is cosine related to other trigonometric functions?

Cosine is related to other trigonometric functions, such as sine and tangent, through the unit circle. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a graph. The cosine of an angle is equal to the x-coordinate of the point where the angle intersects the unit circle. This relationship can be used to derive the values of other trigonometric functions from cosine.