What is the Distribution of Primes in Relation to Important Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple program that lists non-primes and "important numbers" in a grid. The author noticed that these "important numbers" are more likely to have a prime before or after them and explores the concept further, finding similarities to "abundant numbers" and "super-abundant numbers". They then wonder if there is a set of numbers that can generate primes, but haven't made much progress. The likelihood of these numbers being primes is discussed, with the author mentioning the relevance for small numbers and potential statistical tests to validate their theory.
greeniguana00
I made this simple program to list all non-primes (ignore the first row and column of the output) and list what I call "important numbers". I have attached an output if you don't want to bother running and compiling the program.

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
	ofstream output;
	output.open ("output.txt");
	int i;
	int j;
	int n;
	cout<<"Size? ";
	cin>>n;
	int repeat[n*n];
	for (j=1;j<=n;j++) {
		for (i=1;i<=n;i++) {
			output<<i*j<<"\t";
			repeat[i*j]++;
		}
		output<<endl;
	}
	output<<endl<<endl<<endl<<"IMPORTANT NUMBERS:"<<endl;
	for (i=1;i<=(n*n);i++) {
		if (repeat[i]>=6) {
			output<<i<<endl;
		}
	}
	output.close();
	return 0;
}

Anyway, taking a look at the attached text file, I noticed that the "important numbers" (those which occurred 6 or more times in the grid) were more likely than a random number to have a prime before it or after it (at least for small numbers). After a Google search, I found out that a similar definition to my "important numbers" is given to "abundant numbers" and "super-abundant numbers" and "highly abundant numbers" -- that is they are determined by a high number of factors (for example, 12 = 1*12 = 2*6 = 3*4), just in a slightly different way.

I then began to wonder, is there a set of numbers that can be generated using a simple pattern such that every number in that set is one less than or one greater than a prime? Is there another set such that every prime is either one less than or one greater than a number in that set? Well, I haven't gotten far from this point.

I have found the set of numbers defined as: n(x) = 2((x^2)-x); where x is an integer greater than or equal to two, is more likely to have primes before or after its members, but that's about it.

Attachments

• output.txt
    49.7 KB · Views: 674
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unless it is much more likely then you aren't going to get any rewards.

John Creighto said:
Unless it is much more likely then you aren't going to get any rewards.

I know. It's more likely than random, but that's about it.

greeniguana00 said:
I know. It's more likely than random, but that's about it.

Try and estimate the likelihood of it bing a prime as well as give your confidence intervals. See what kind of statistical tests you can do to validate or invalidate your theory.

If a particular number has a lot of factors, then none of them can divide the previous number.

This effect is only really relevant for "small" numbers. When you start looking at large numbers, there are just to many 'candidate' prime factors.

Yeah, I neglected the "at least for small numbers" in my second post.

1. What is the distribution of primes?

The distribution of primes refers to the pattern or frequency with which prime numbers occur among all natural numbers. These are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and itself, such as 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and so on.

2. Are there any known patterns in the distribution of primes?

Yes, there are several patterns and properties that have been discovered in the distribution of primes. For example, the Prime Number Theorem states that as the numbers get larger, the ratio of primes to all natural numbers approaches 1/log(n), where n is the upper limit of the range of numbers being considered.

3. Why is the distribution of primes important?

The distribution of primes has been a subject of interest for mathematicians for centuries. It has practical applications in cryptography, as the security of many encryption algorithms relies on the difficulty of factoring large numbers into their prime factors. Additionally, understanding the distribution of primes can provide insights into the nature of numbers and their relationships.

4. Is there a formula for generating prime numbers?

No, there is no known formula for generating prime numbers. Prime numbers are considered to be random and unpredictable, making it difficult to come up with a formula that can generate them reliably. However, there are methods for quickly checking if a given number is prime or not.

5. How are prime numbers distributed in different number systems?

The distribution of primes is not affected by the number system being used. Whether in decimal, binary, or any other number system, the same patterns and properties of prime numbers apply. However, the methods for finding and working with prime numbers may differ in different number systems.