High School student wanting to learn more

In summary, the high school student in South Africa is passionate about maths, but is tired of classes doing quadratic equations. He is currently finishing Stewart's Calculus book, and is looking into his options for what to do next. He recommends studying through a differential equations book and seeing if that satisfies his interests.
flebbyman
Hey there,

I am high school student in South Africa, and I'm passionate about maths. I'm not too sure why, but it's fascinating.

In South Africa we don't do courses, we follow a set curriculum, and we have a program similar to the AP program in the US, which I take. I'm in grade 11, and last year I took the grade 11 AP exam, and I scored a 92%. I am doing my grade 12 exams this year, but it is a bit tedious. I'm so tired of the class doing quadratic equations when I'm figuring out Line Integrals. So I'm just about finished Stewart's Calculus book, except for the finer details of multivariable stuff, which I'll finish in university.

So I am now looking at my options of what to do. Linear Algebra is the most obvious choice, and I really like Calculus, so I might do Analysis after that, but what recommendations do you have?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could think about studying through a differential equations book and seeing if that satisfies your interests for a while. I am sure others will have better suggestions than I do. I figure that is the progression many make with math, first do all the calculus, then linear algebra/diff eq, and then from there whatever you want.

read all the math books you can find. I'm a high school sophmore currently taking calculus, but i have plans to study lots of math over the summer. just don't have that much time to go all out on it now. subjects i think i will study are same as you mentioned but also number theory. you could maybe try combinatorics, probability, graph theory, analytic geometry, set theory. while i don't have any experience at all in the areas of mathematics that i just mentioned i have read about what they are and i think they look very interesting. probably ordinary differential equations after the multivariable calculus. as far as the analysis goes, two titles that i have heard are good but not read yet are rudin's principles of mathematical analysis; and spivak's calculus on manifolds.

What resources are available for high school students who want to learn more?

There are many resources available for high school students who want to learn more. Some options include online courses, tutoring services, library resources, and extracurricular activities such as clubs or workshops. It's also a good idea to talk to your teachers or school counselors for guidance on specific subjects or areas of interest.

How can high school students balance learning with their other commitments?

Balancing learning with other commitments can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your time and create a schedule that works for you. This may involve setting aside specific times for studying and using efficient study techniques, such as breaking up studying into smaller chunks or using flashcards. It's also important to communicate with your teachers and peers if you need to adjust your workload or schedule.

What are some effective study strategies for high school students?

Some effective study strategies for high school students include creating a study schedule, practicing active reading and note-taking, using flashcards or other memory aids, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy balance between studying and other activities.

How can high school students engage in self-directed learning?

Self-directed learning involves taking responsibility for your own education and seeking out opportunities for growth and learning. High school students can engage in self-directed learning by setting learning goals, exploring new topics and interests, and seeking out resources and mentors for support and guidance. It's also important to reflect on your learning and make adjustments as needed.

What are some ways for high school students to continue learning outside of the classroom?

There are many ways for high school students to continue learning outside of the classroom. Some options include participating in extracurricular activities, attending workshops or conferences, volunteering, reading books or articles on topics of interest, and taking online courses. It's also important to seek out real-world experiences and apply what you've learned in the classroom to practical situations.