What is the needle’s dipole moment?

In summary, the needle suspended from a string is in equilibrium due to the horizontal electric field with a magnitude of 3.7*10^3 N/C at an angle of 30° with the needle. The torque exerted by the string to hold the needle in equilibrium is 3.7*10^-4 Nm, and the dipole moment of the needle is 2.7 C*m. The direction of the dipole moment can be determined by the direction of the cross product between the torque and the electric field.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A needle suspended from a string hangs horizontally. The electric field at the needle’s location is horizontal with a magnitude 3.7*103 N/C and is at an angle of 30° with the needle. There is no net electrical force acting on the needle, but the string exerts a torque of 3.7*10-3 to hold the needle in equilibrium. What is the needle’s dipole moment?

I know that [tex]
\overrightarrow \tau = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} \,\,
[/tex]

But I can't simply re-write it as [tex]
\frac{{\overrightarrow \tau }}{{\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} }} = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \,\,\,\,
[/tex]
, can I? I don't think you can do this to a cross-product. How can I solve for the dipole moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will only be able to that if p and E are perpendicular, in which case they are not. Do you remember how to find the magnitude of a cross product? Sin(x) maybe?mm?

I know its |A x B| = |A||B| sin(x). But in this problem, I don't know what A is. That's what I'm trying to solve for.

|A x B|
------- = |A|. This looks like a dead end.
|B|

how about
[tex] p=\frac{\tau}{sin(\theta) E}[/tex] ?

If I do that, then I'm dividing units of Nm by N/C, which gives me mC. The book doesn't talk about this, and my class notes are not very good, but I think that is the right unit for dipole moment, meters*coulombs?

If so, I get 3.7e-4/sin(30) *3.7e3 = 2.738 mC for the answer.

If this is correct, don't go away, because I'm still not confident I understand this.

m*C are the correct units.
I see some inconsistencies in your signs and values for your exponents to the ones you stated originally.

Yes, my original question should have been 3.7*10^3 N/C and 3.7*10^-4 for torque. (I imagine you knew that 103 meant 10^3 :) )

t is a vector, and so is E. But in the division that got me 2.738 mc, I divided only their magnitudes. Was this right? I'm guessing they want p to be a vector with direction. It will either be into or out of the board. How do I know which?

Ok, now I follow your chain of logic. Thanks for your help. I've got a scalar as an answer, and I still need to assign it a direction. Any thoughts?

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow \tau = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} \, \\
\\
\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right| = \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta \\
\\
\overrightarrow \tau = \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\, = \frac{{\,\overrightarrow \tau }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta }}\,\,\, \\
\\
\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\, = \frac{{3.7 \times 10^{ - 4} {\rm{N}} \cdot {\rm{m}}}}{{\sin \theta \cdot 3.7 \times 10^3 {\rm{N/C}}}} = 2.7{\rm{ C}} \cdot m \\
\,\,\,\, \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule, which results in a net dipole or polarity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the needle's dipole moment determined?

The needle's dipole moment can be determined by calculating the product of the magnitude of the charge and the distance between the positive and negative charges on the needle. This can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electrophoresis or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

3. Why is the needle's dipole moment important?

The needle's dipole moment is important because it can affect the behavior and interactions of the needle with other molecules or electric fields. It also plays a role in determining the needle's physical properties, such as its melting point and solubility.

4. How does the needle's dipole moment relate to its shape?

The needle's dipole moment is influenced by its shape, as the distance between the positive and negative charges on the needle is determined by its molecular structure. A more elongated or asymmetric shape will result in a larger dipole moment, while a symmetrical shape will have a smaller or zero dipole moment.

5. Can the needle's dipole moment change?

Yes, the needle's dipole moment can change in response to external factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the presence of other molecules. This can affect the needle's behavior and properties, making it an important factor to consider in many scientific studies and applications.