Shooting the moon. did i get a space station?

In summary, the speaker and their kids took about 40 shots of the moon in -20 degree weather, taking breaks every half hour to check the photos on a computer. They tried different settings, but only a few turned out well. The speaker shared a link to the photos and mentioned that they saved one as desktop wallpaper. They also noted that one photo makes it look like the space station is next to the moon, but it is just a trick of the light.
glondor
Hey all. My kids and me were trying to get some shots of the old moon tonight. I took about 40 or so so far. We were going out every half hour or so and I was shooting 10 or so shots per trip. As it is minus 20 degrees we were pretty quick about it. As we came in I would pop the camera card in the pc to see if they were any good. I tried all different settings, however only a few seem ok . If you are interested here is the link. click the pics for 66%. click again for full size. Feel free to browse the albums.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v697/23224/moondance/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is there any copyright ?:wink: I saved the 2nd last one as desktop wallpaper

Enjoy! personally i like the first one, although the one with the moon in motion looks like the space station is next to it just to the left. It is not tho, just a trick of the light.

1. What does "shooting the moon" mean?

"Shooting the moon" is a phrase used to describe the act of trying to capture an image of the moon using a camera or telescope.

2. How can I shoot the moon?

To shoot the moon, you will need a camera with manual settings or a telescope with a camera attachment. You will also need a tripod to keep your camera steady. It is recommended to use a telephoto lens to get a clear and detailed image of the moon.

3. Do I need a special camera to shoot the moon?

No, you do not need a special camera to shoot the moon. However, cameras with manual settings and telephoto lenses are recommended for best results.

4. Can I shoot the moon during the day?

Yes, you can shoot the moon during the day. However, the moon may not be as visible and clear compared to shooting at night when it is fully illuminated.

5. Is it possible to capture a space station in my moon photo?

Yes, it is possible to capture a space station in your moon photo. However, it requires precise timing and location as the space station moves quickly across the sky. You can use online tools or apps to track the space station's location and time your photo accordingly.