Republican Voters Crossover: Who Came Out on Top?

• News
  • Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, agreed McCain has only hurt himself. He'd probably be better off just stopping all publicity towards himself until the generals. He has no need for it.That happened in Fl as well. http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/results/vote-polls/FL.html" voted in Florida's "closed" Republican Primary. All it took to register as a Republican in that primary was to register as one 30 days before the election. With the Democrat Primary essentially meaningless, it is very likely that there was significant crossover. That's something I don't quite understand about US primaries. If you are a member of (say) the republican party - how do
undrcvrbro
It's definately a possibility that many of the republican voters who know McCain has their party in a choke hold are crossing over to vote in the democratic primary against whoever they despise more. I know I did. I voted for O'bama, but somehow Clinton came through on top. I guess there's more women over 80 in Ohio than I had thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm considering it for the PA primary, but it seems cumbersome and I'm lazy...

I heard on the news today that there hasn't been much crossover vote (10% in one open primary I think), but dunno. The hotter the campaing gets (and the more irrelevant the Republican primarys have become), the more crossover there might be.

russ_watters said:
I'm considering it for the PA primary, but it seems cumbersome and I'm lazy...

I heard on the news today that there hasn't been much crossover vote (10% in one open primary I think), but dunno. The hotter the campaing gets (and the more irrelevant the Republican primarys have become), the more crossover there might be.

I think we all realize that regardless, it will be McCain vs. O'Bama, and at this point crossover really can't be too serious of an issue.

In the general election, on the other hand, it's the independents that will win it. I just can't see a plurality of people voting for a black man. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm racist (gasp).

Normally, I'd say that the US isn't "ready" for a black president, but McCain shoots himself in the foot on a daily basis. I think people will get fed up with him more than they will be against Obama or Clinton.

Yes, agreed McCain has only hurt himself. He'd probably be better off just stopping all publicity towards himself until the generals. He has no need for it.

That happened in Fl as well. http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/results/vote-polls/FL.html" [Broken] voted in Florida's "closed" Republican Primary. All it took to register as a Republican in that primary was to register as one 30 days before the election. With the Democrat Primary essentially meaningless, it is very likely that there was significant crossover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats something I don't quite understand about US primaries.
If you are a member of (say) the republican party - how do you vote to choose the democrat candidate?
Doesn't this just lead to sabotage - couldn't (eg) republicans could vote for a no-hope or joke democrat candidate to wreck the competition?

mgb_phys said:
If you are a member of (say) the republican party - how do you vote to choose the democrat candidate?
Doesn't this just lead to sabotage - couldn't (eg) republicans could vote for a no-hope or joke democrat candidate to wreck the competition?

Yes. It happens all the time. It's probably how Bush got elected both times (well, that and Diebold...). And some people think this is ethical. :rolleyes:

It's the American Way.

That's the problem with Dielbold - it might be efficent but it does take all the excitement out of an election

mgb_phys said:
For the primaries, every state is different, but some have "open" primaries that let anyone vote for any party and some give you the ability to change your afiliation a month ahead of the primary.

mgb_phys said:
That's the problem with Dielbold - it might be efficent but it does take all the excitement out of an election
You're mostly right. In Florida's election in 2000, the problems were almost entirely related to the paper ballots. In fact, I think part of what worries people is that having the ballot be truly secret takes away the potential for ambiguity. There's no wiggle room without chads to argue about and sue over.

But people want drama, so if the results aren't what you are looking for and there isn't anything else to argue about, blame Diebold.

What is the definition of "Republican Voters Crossover"?

Republican Voters Crossover refers to the phenomenon where voters who typically identify as members of the Republican party, choose to vote for a candidate from a different political party in a primary or general election.

Why do some Republican voters choose to crossover?

There are various reasons why Republican voters may choose to crossover. Some may feel dissatisfied with the current state of their party and want to support a candidate from a different party. Others may see the candidate from a different party as a better fit for their values and beliefs. Additionally, some voters may strategically crossover in order to have a say in the opposing party's primary election.

Which candidate typically benefits from Republican voters crossover?

The candidate who benefits from Republican voters crossover can vary depending on the election and the specific candidates involved. In some cases, the candidate from a different party may gain a significant advantage and ultimately win the election. However, in other cases, the crossover may not have a significant impact on the outcome.

Do Republican voters crossover more frequently in primary or general elections?

Republican voters may choose to crossover in both primary and general elections. However, it is more common for crossover to occur in primary elections. This is because primary elections are typically more competitive and can have a larger impact on the final outcome of the election. Additionally, voters may feel less pressure to align with their party in a primary election compared to a general election.

Is Republican voters crossover a recent trend?

The concept of Republican voters crossover has been observed in past elections, but it has gained more attention in recent years due to the increasing polarization and division within the two major political parties in the United States. However, the extent and impact of crossover may vary in different election cycles.