HELP - my math is like Swiss Cheese

• Thread starter hks85
  • Start date
In summary: I have taught myself many subjects from sciences to foreign languages. Because I have a hard time paying attention in class, I get all my information from reading the book anyways. The only problem with me is that i... Read moreIn summary, it sounds like you may have some difficulty paying attention in class, so you may want to start with a college algebra book and move on to calculus if you have the time. Additionally, if you want to pursue an engineering degree, you will need to fix your math skills first.
hks85
i need an education plan. I am not illiterate with math but i have so many holes. I've tried again and again to sit down and learn it but i feel like its all full of holes. I understand Euclidean distance with QAM but my some of my lower level algebra lacks. I've officially taken up to calc 1 but never finished it because i was just too lost. I love physics, I am considering pursuing an engineering degree in the next year or two but in reality, i need to fix my math first. where do i start? what book(s) or sites should i be referring to? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hks85 said:
i need an education plan. I am not illiterate with math but i have so many holes. I've tried again and again to sit down and learn it but i feel like its all full of holes. I understand Euclidean distance with QAM but my some of my lower level algebra lacks. I've officially taken up to calc 1 but never finished it because i was just too lost. I love physics, I am considering pursuing an engineering degree in the next year or two but in reality, i need to fix my math first. where do i start? what book(s) or sites should i be referring to? thanks

Depends on where you need work. Sounds like you may need a college algebra book for starters.

CS

stewartcs said:
Depends on where you need work. Sounds like you may need a college algebra book for starters.

CS

i spent about 6 hours a day for the last 3 days going through a college algebra book. i couldn't believe how much i forgot. It all came back pretty quick and i did learn a few things as well. what's the next step? with engineering in mind, what math subject should i be sure to hit?

hks85 said:
i spent about 6 hours a day for the last 3 days going through a college algebra book. i couldn't believe how much i forgot. It all came back pretty quick and i did learn a few things as well. what's the next step? with engineering in mind, what math subject should i be sure to hit?
That's great that you've invested that much effort into reviewing college algebra. You probably will want to break it down section by section to be sure you are comfortable with all the topics. This will probably take more than 3 days.

The next step is to find a good college calculus text. (you may want to look at more than one book, not all authors can communicate the concepts well).

hks85 said:

If you don't want to jump into calculus again right away, then a pre-calc/trig class would be beneficial as well.

CS

This is very good that you want to relearn all your mathematics. Calculus was invented as a tool for physics anyways.

Your time span should affect the majority of your decision. If you don't have a lot of time to study, start with the calc book, a calculus 1 course book. I don't think the theory in lower level calculus is that difficult to learn, the hard part is doing the algebra. So this way you will be forced to go back and learn your algebra. If you have time though, start brushing up on the algebra books. I know it sucks, you don't want to read it because you feel like you know it already, but unless you can honestly tell yourself that you could open up a lower level algebra book to any page and be able to explain that section to a n00b fully, you need to review it.

The best part about your self-educating desire, you can get the math books free from any college student. A lot of people dread math and would be more than willing to give you their math book. Along with it you could take their class notes and class syllabus, outlining the important or beneficial homework problems.

I have taught myself many subjects from sciences to foreign languages. Because I have a hard time paying attention in class, I get all my information from reading the book anyways. The only problem with me is that i found class is better, because i am forced to learn it and go through with it, as where i am at home reading a biology book, its not very difficult to put it down and forget about it forever.

There are also a lot of online tutor sessions that come free with some math books. There are probably a lot of college kids that are willing to let you use their user name to access online tutors as well.

Good luck!

1. What does it mean when someone says their math is like Swiss cheese?

When someone says their math is like Swiss cheese, it means that they have gaps or holes in their understanding or knowledge of math concepts. Similar to how Swiss cheese has holes throughout, their understanding of math is not complete or solid.

2. How can I improve my math skills if they are like Swiss cheese?

The best way to improve your math skills is to identify the specific areas where you have gaps or holes in your understanding. Then, focus on practicing and reviewing those areas until you have a solid understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

3. Is it common for people to have "Swiss cheese" math skills?

Yes, it is common for people to have gaps or holes in their math skills. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses, and math may not come easily to everyone. It is important to remember that it is okay to have areas where you need to improve and that with practice and determination, anyone can improve their math skills.

4. How can I prevent my math skills from becoming like Swiss cheese?

The key to preventing your math skills from becoming like Swiss cheese is to consistently review and practice the concepts you have learned. It is important to build a strong foundation and understanding of math concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed.

5. Can I still succeed in math if my skills are like Swiss cheese?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in math even if you have gaps or holes in your understanding. It may take more effort and determination, but with practice and seeking help when needed, anyone can improve their math skills. Don't let your perceived weaknesses hold you back from achieving success in math.