Proving a function is integrable over Jordan Region

• Thread starter SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to prove that f is integrable on [0, 1] × [0, 1], we need to show that for any given epsilon > 0, there exists a grid G such that the upper sum minus the lower sum is less than epsilon. To do this, we can split the domain into rectangles and show that the difference between the maximum and minimum of the function on each square is bounded by a constant times (1/n), where n is the number of parts the domain is split into. This means that the difference between the upper and lower contribution to the sum on each square is bounded by the constant times 1/n^3. As there are n^2 squares, we can show that the difference
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Let E = [0, 1] × [0, 1] be a Jordan region and f : E --> R be defined as
f(x, y) = x + y.

By using the definition 12.17, show that f is integrable on [0, 1]×[0, 1]. I.e., form proper
grids to prove the integrability.

Homework Equations

Definition 12.17 (i shortened it):

F is integrable on E if for all epsilon >0 there exists a grid G such that

U(f,g)- L(f,g)< epsilon

(U(f,g) is the upper sum)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i honestly don't know how to define a grid G.

This seems like a really simple question unless there is something i am not getting, i figure the best way to approach this problem is just to come straight out and define a grid g.

Edit: wait. i think that the sup will always be 1 over this entire region, which means that U(f,g) <1 ... but i don't know where to go from there,

Physics news on Phys.org
can anybody help me?

You want to split the domain into rectangles in such a way that the upper sum minus the lower sum can be made arbitrarily small if you use enough rectangles. Split [0,1] into n parts so you are splitting the region into n^2 squares. The problem is simple enough that there are two ways to go about this. You could actually find explicit formulas for the upper and lower sum and show they have a common limit. I don't recommend this. It involves details that aren't important. The other way is to show that the difference between the maximum and the minimum of the function on each square is bounded by a constant times (1/n). Suggest a constant. The area of each (1/n)x(1/n) square is 1/n^2. That would mean that the difference between the upper and lower contribution to the sum on each square is bounded by your constant times 1/n^3. Now there are n^2 squares. Can you show the difference between the upper and lower sum goes to zero as n goes to infinity?

1. What is a Jordan region?

A Jordan region is a subset of the real numbers that is bounded by a finite number of continuous curves. It is a type of geometric shape that can be described by its boundaries.

2. How do you prove that a function is integrable over a Jordan region?

To prove that a function is integrable over a Jordan region, one must show that the function is both bounded and continuous over the region. This can be done using the Riemann integral, where the function is divided into smaller intervals and the limit of the sum of these intervals approaches the area under the curve.

3. What is the importance of proving a function is integrable over a Jordan region?

Proving that a function is integrable over a Jordan region allows us to calculate the area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as physics and economics, where finding the total value or quantity of something is important.

4. Can a function be integrable over a Jordan region but not over a larger region?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be integrable over a Jordan region but not over a larger region. This is because the function may not be bounded or continuous over the larger region, making it impossible to calculate the integral.

5. Are there any techniques or shortcuts for proving a function is integrable over a Jordan region?

Yes, there are some techniques and shortcuts that can be used to prove a function is integrable over a Jordan region. These include using known properties of integrable functions, such as linearity and monotonicity, and using theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Intermediate Value Theorem.