What color light is transmitted through a piece of red glass?

In summary, red light is transmitted through a piece of red glass because the frequency of the red light matches the natural frequency of the electrons in the glass. This causes the red light to be transmitted while the other colors of the spectrum, such as blue and green, are absorbed and converted into thermal energy.
zachcumer
What color light is transmitted through a piece of red glass?

I thought it would be red?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello zachcumer this is my first post. If I am incorrect I am sorry but I do have a firm understanding of physics as a high school student and I am very confident in my work. Anyways to your question. If you are passing light through a red colored piece of glass you will get red light on the other side. The red glass will block out all other colors of the spectrum but will allow red to transmit through. Hope that helps. Have a good night.
Jeremy

thanks

Assuming a flat pane of colored glass, using colored lights?
How about if you pass red light through red glass, will it be blocked?
How about if you pass red light through a green glass- What will the color/frequency of the light which passes through the glass be?

White light is made up of blue, red, and green light. When white light strikes red glass, the green and blue light's frequency matches the natural frequency of the electrons in the red glass. Resonince occurs and the electrons in the red glass vibrate more intensely than they normally would, causing the green and blue light to be absorbed by the glass. Due to the absorption, thermal energy is created and the glass heats up. The red light does not get absorbed however, instead the red light is transmitted. The red light causes electrons to vibrate and make the neighboring electrons vibrate until red light is transmitted out the other side.

Cheers,
Themtpeake

Likes Prashasti

1. What causes red glass to transmit red light?

Red glass transmits red light because its molecular structure selectively absorbs all other wavelengths of light except for red. This means that when white light passes through red glass, all colors except for red are absorbed, resulting in only red light being transmitted.

2. Can other colors of light pass through red glass?

No, red glass is specifically designed to only transmit red light. Other colors of light will be absorbed by the glass and will not pass through.

3. Why does red glass appear red when light is transmitted through it?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or transmits. In the case of red glass, it transmits red light and absorbs all other colors, giving it a red appearance.

4. Does the thickness of the red glass affect the color of the transmitted light?

Yes, the thickness of the red glass can affect the intensity or brightness of the transmitted red light. Thicker glass may appear darker or more saturated, while thinner glass may appear lighter or more transparent.

5. Can red glass also reflect red light?

Yes, red glass can both transmit and reflect red light. The amount of light that is reflected depends on the angle of incidence and the surface properties of the glass.